Chapter Twenty-Eight

I was sitting on top of the Hokage Monument - more specifically on top of Nidaime Hokage-sama's head. I hadn't been able to properly function for the past week. I was running on autopilot though such a word didn't exist back then since this technology wasn't what it is today. I had been training everyday with both my tantō and my mokuton jutsu until I passed up. Then I'd wake up the next day and repeat the entire process.

Over that span of time, I hadn't really come in contact with anyone else as I had decided to train myself deep in the forest where others seldom go. I only came in contact with my family, but it was during the course of a few minutes since I pretty much ate, occasionally showered, and then departed for my training.

I was in the middle of training myself with my tantō when someone appeared in my chakra range. I quickly span around and nearly swung my blade at the man who had ditched me for a week.

My brunette taichō stood there with his hands on his hips. "So, have you had any success with making a tree?"
I silently sheathed my tantō before performing the jutsu that would allow me to create a tree.

Over the previous week, I had gotten better at controlling the chakra needed to make the jutsu work somewhat efficiently. There were some ups and downs, but I had managed to figure out a trick to spare myself some chakra.

I watched as his black, doll-like eyes widened in surprise.

He kept watching the tree grow until it became as tall as all the others. He motioned for me to stop soon after and approached the tree. He gave a small hum while looking it over carefully. The brunette made very careful observations before finally nodding to himself, pausing, and then nodding once more.

I stared at the brunette silently until he seemed ready to talk to me.

"I honestly didn't expect you to progress this far in a week, especially not when you barely seemed to make a tree last time." Tenzō-taichō remained silent for a moment, his hands on his hips as he stared at my work. He soon turned his head towards me and practically beamed. "I'm glad you went beyond my expectations. Since I won't have another mission for a few days, I'll help you get acquainted with the "proper" handsigns. Since you're using your own, your trees appear to be a different species, but I can get you on the right track." The man paused before scratching his cheek nervously. "I mean, if you would prefer it. I don't know if your method would be better with you considering your different jutsus and the fact it's probably genetic."

I waved his concern off. "I was actually hoping to learn the jutsu so I can use trees native to this area. It would be more effective in battle, or at least in my opinion."

The ANBU member gave a simple nod before springing right into my lesson. He showed handsigns, explained necessary chakra amounts, and then gave a demonstration of what that particular jutsu did.

I copied him with my photographic memory and gave none of my usual sass since I desperately needed to get everything I could down before the shitstorm that was bound to happen at the chunin exam finals. Besides dealing with the snake bastard, I had to give Gaara a nice ass-kicking that may or may not result in his death.

"Alright. That's it for today. Meet me here tomorrow at 09:00 sharp," Tenzō-taichō ordered as he watched me struggle to use my chakra.

"Very well. Have a good night," I replied politely to the man before stumbling my way back to my house. I slipped in and took a quick shower before heading out to a certain flower shop.

"Welcome," Ino-chan chirped upon hearing the bell hanging in front of the door go off.

I gave a small hum in reply, causing the blonde to peak her head out of the aisle she was in.