Chapter Six

Softy.... This chapter is for you♥

Rufaidah decided to watch a movie on her laptop so that Zubaidah will study for her exams. She's a medical student in her 5th year.

"I don't think I can be able to sleep without getting some answers,  the weird thing is that I just realised that I can't remember anything that happened in my childhood,  yaya Shams was telling me stories the other day and I didn't read too much into the reason why I can't remember anything"  she blurted,  taking notice of how tensed Zubaidah become.

"Just be patient, we will tell you everything in shaa Allah" she mumbled,  knowing that she isn't going to get a wink of sleep also, the memories of that day still haunt her and seeing Rufaidah like this with no idea what happened all those years ago increased her guilt ten folds and her resolve to become a brain surgeon stronger than ever.   The Rufaidah she knew back then was kind, happy and so full of life,  they are supposed to be best friends, they are supposed to share the same dream,  study the same course,  do everything together like twins.  The Rufaidah she knew is very brilliant,  she ace in everything,  she is always the first to finish an assignment,  the first to give haddah in islamiyyah and boy she was so strict when it comes to salah,  they were seven but she takes prayers so serious they often complain about it, she was the reason why she is good but the stories and updates about Rufaidah's life made her heart break,  because the Rufaidah she knew isn't the one laying in her bed right now.

She is still in possession of all those gifts they exchanged,  ranging from hair bands to pencils and crayons to dolls, she couldn't give them out because they are the only connection she has with Rufaidah,  she always feel jealous of Faridah whenever she see their picture online or read a post about their friendship but at the same time she's thankful to her for sticking around.

"Why are you crying? " Rufaidah startled her. She quickly wipe away her tears sporting a fake smile.

"Eye problem,  I get teary eyed when I am tired of studying" she chuckled nervously.

"If that's the case then close the book and rest, you can study before the exams tomorrow"

"Yeah,  you're right"

Yaya Shams texted Rufaidah asking if she's comfortable and she replied with a simple yes. He texted Zubaidah begging her to not tell Rufaidah anything yet,  they are thinking of the best way to break the news to her.  He knew that he should have told her after they made up, she opened up to him, trusted him, even tell him time and again that she love him and now he has to be the one to break her heart,  the one to tell her what their parents forbade them from saying,  what he is expected to take to his grave and what might bring an end to his relationship with her. Whatever the repercussions,  he convinced himself it is the right thing to do and he's ready to bear the consequences.

Neither Rufaidah nor Zubaidah get a wink of sleep that night and before Rufaidah woke up after subh Zubaidah has left for school leaving a note saying she will be back immediately after her exams and that Rufaidah should be free to wander around the house.  Since it is not her habit to greet anyone at home, she didn't think it is necessary to do that here,  afterall Hajiya hates her and she's not ready to be looked down upon. 

A knock brought her out of reverie,  it was Hafeez dressed in kaftan donning a cap like he was born to rock it.  They exchanged some pleasantries before he informed her that everyone is waiting for her. She nodded telling him that she will be there in five.

She took her sweet time in brushing her teeth and taking a bath then contemplating on what to wear,  the jeans and knee length top or the sleeveless gown?  She opted for the jeans after much deliberation.  She didn't see the need to cover her hair as she took her phone trying to remember the direction given to her by Hafeez.