Chapter Eleven

"Faridah is awake, she is asking of you. Come soon because she doesn't look so well" The words keep echoing in her ears as she speed through the busy roads and ran towards the hospital ward where Faridah is lying for weeks but she was late, only if she came a minute earlier, maybe, just maybe she might catch a glimpse of her dearest friend's face when she is alive but she came when Mama is closing her eyes, saying innalillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun over and over again and tears of inexplicable pain run down her cheeks. She has lost a child, she is feeling the pain that only a mother who bore a child in her womb for nine agonizing months, raise that child from infancy to adulthood,  been there through all the phases of life of that child, being proud and disappointed in that child would understand.

"Rufaidah I know how you feel, please have tawakkul in your heart, be patient, don't do anything rash, pray for Faridah, it's the only thing that will affirm our love for her. Allah blessed us with her and now He has taken her away from us because He loves her more than we do. May He forgive her sins, grant her repose in grave and reward her good deeds with jannah where we all shall meet one day by His will" Mama consoled, trying so hard to hide away her pain but the tears won't stop flowing.

Rufaidah who stood rooted by the door since the moment she came in finally got to feel her limbs and walk towards Mama. She felt numb, she couldn't even utter a single prayer until she hugged Mama and feel the vibration in her chest which is her undoing. She slid to the ground, hands on head as she let out a guttural cry that'll break every heart that pumps blood.

"Innalillahi wa Inna ilaihi rajiun! Yah Allah make this a horrible nightmare I will soon wake from, Yah Allah don't punish me with this calamity I can't take it" she wailed.

"Shhh stop saying that Rufaidah, you'll end up committing a sin. Just keep quite if the words coming out of your mouth are not prayers" Mama chided.

In a matter of minutes the whole ward is filled with family and friends as the lifeless body of the kindest human known to Rufaidah was taken out to be bathe as per the dictates of Islam before she's taken to her real and final home where she will reap what she sowed. If she sow good, she will reap good, if it's otherwise, she will be tormented in grave crying out for the help that will never come, wailing and cursing herself for not obeying Allah.

"Please let me see her for the last time " Rufaidah begged with a hoarse voice.

"You will be given the chance to see her at home. Let's go" An elderly woman said before they follow the men that carry the body.

She wanted to apologize to her, tell her how sorry and remorseful she is for all the things she did to her, for taking her for granted and bossing her around, for being a stubborn person, for not listening and abiding to her good advice, for not caring as she should even after knowing that she's seriously sick. For misusing all the times they should have spend together making happy memories that will last a life time. But now all she has are memories of Faridah always being the good and kind friend while she's being haughty and selfish.

"I am sorry. I am so so so sorry Reedah. Please forgive me" she sobbed out. She has never felt a pain as excruciating as this even after getting to know about Musayyib.

The minutes ticked away in a charged painful silence as people from all angles start milling into the house to offer their condolences as the final rites are being performed. Rufaidah curled up in Faridah's room rocking back and forth as silent  tears run  down her cheeks. She kept praying for Faridah in her mind. Regretting everything  she has done. She took a picture of them with her frowning at the camera and Faridah sporting a big cheerful smile. The picture was taken on their graduation day.  She didn't even know that she has it enlarged until now because she hardly comes into her room whenever she comes over.