Chapter Fifteen

As usual... Not edited🙈

For someone who find solace in solitude, Rufaidah wished for nothing than to open her eyes, find out that she is in a very crowded place and what is replaying her head is a mere nightmare she will never get back to. The emotions, the feelings and everything playing like PowerPoint slides are to intense for her to put up with.

She keeps gasping for air, wanting to escape, desperately seeking for a relief from everything. Yet, she want to see it all, she wants to capture the glimpses of her early days as a person, she wants to pin point those moments that everyone was talking about when she used to be nice and kind and adorable, she want to capture the missing puzzles  in her life so as to become an entity, someone she recognises. She wants to know why she was bitter, what turned her life upside down and what kind of monsters her parents were.

At a point in time, she gave up hope and succumbed to the darkness as a form of reprieve.

🐾🐾🐾

Mama woke up to unusual sounds at dawn only to find Rufaidah writhing in pain and gasping for air. She hurriedly called the attention of a nurse who came in with a Dr in tow.

"What's happening Doc? Will she be alright ? What's going on?" Mama asked in agitation.

"Don't worry ma'am. She is going to be fine. Please just step out for a bit I'll call you back in when the coast is clear" Mama nodded then wake Ummi only to go to the waiting area to find Al'amin sleeping in an uncomfortable position.

"Stubborn coconut head" Mama mumbled before waking him.

He gave her a guilty smile rubbing his eyes to clear off the sleep. "Good morning Mama. What's wrong ? What happened to Rufaidah?" He asked. Mama informed him before they all left to the masjid to say the early morning prayers. Shams had came back the other night but he was forced to go home by mama not knowing that his friend is still lurking around in the hospital.

Hajjah and Shams arrived at the hospital by 7am with breakfast for everyone. He looks like he did not get a wink of sleep at all.

"Did you inform your parents ?" Mama asked , wiping her mouth with a tissue.

"I couldn't reach them. Maybe they left Dublin. I left Daddy a message though" he replied heatedly, looking as if he is going to punch something or someone, whoever is unfortunate to come close to him first.

"They have the right to know Shams. Please tell them" Mama saw right through his lie. How can he not reach them in this era of technological advancement?

"I'm sorry I lied. You caught me as always" he mumbled before dialing Hajiya Aisha's number. After greeting her, he told her that Rufaidah had been admitted and it has almost been a day since she went unconscious.

"Subhanallah! What happened to my baby?  how much do you need to give her the best medical care? Will she be alright" she rambled in an exaggerated panic, each word boiling Sham's heart. He clenched his fists, taking deep slow breaths before saying "we are good, we don't need a dime from you. I thought you should know being the one who bore her in your womb but I'm wrong about you every damn time. You will never change Mommy, I'll soon take her away from you before you break her entirely " she started to say something but he couldn't spare her a second more of his time.

Al'amin held Shams by his shoulders offering the only comfort he can think of at the moment. He knows his friend too much to know that he can start crying to let out his pain. Mama wasn't surprised at whatever Aisha did to elicit such kind of reaction from Shams. She knows him better than his own mother, she can puff out her chest anywhere, anytime claiming that she literally raised shams along with her other children. He is a good man, with good, pure and selfless intentions for his family but Aisha is too far gone to realize that her children may be the salvation she needed in her doomed life. She muttered a silent prayer for her best friend and children before rounding the corner to check up on Rufy.