Chapter Twenty

Unfazed by her dad's visible anger, Rufaidah stood upright, motioned towards Al'amin and said " He is the one I want to marry, the guy I told you I love in the morning. He is Faridah's elder brother and Yaya Sham's best friend" She calmly stated even though there is a war going on in her heart.

Daddy stared at the duo long and hard, after what feels like forever, he hissed and left the house.

"You told them you love me?" Al'amin asked with a goofy grin on his face.

"Yeah I did. Shouldn't you be palpitating over just what happened instead of focusing on what I said or didn't say ?" She enquired in a light tone.

"Of course, but love over obstacle babe, love over obstacle always" he winked and they laughed. Putting what just happened under the rug like it never happen. They had a wonderful time together before he announced that he is leaving to meet his uncles who will come in the evening to pacify her father.

"It shall be well in shaa Allah. We have been praying for this and am sure Allah will not let us down" he assured giving her a killer smile as he drive out of the house.

Rufaidah didn't get to rest because she no longer feel tired. She called her cousins on conference call and filled them on the new development.

"Gaskiya Uncle Sa'ad is not a nice person " Zuby grumbled.

"Hey! That's my dad you know? I forbid you to speak bad about him. What he is trying to do is not fair and inexcusable but nevertheless he is my father. So we just have to be patient and pray that Allah open his eyes to the truth and choose the best for me" she chided.

"That's right sis. Be strong and prayerful, nothing bad will happen in shaa Allah. You are going to marry Yaya Al'amin soon" Hajar added getting a smack from Zuby who is sitting next to her.

"So you guys are the only sensible humans and am now the bad guy. No biggie, I concur with what you said. May Allah see us through" she conceded albeit grumpily.

"Whatever Zubs! Let's keep our fingers crossed. Khairan in shaa Allah " Rufaidah assured her cousin before they bid Adieus.

Just then, mommy came into the room looking radiant than Rufaidah had seen her in ages.

"Welcome back. I was told you're not around" Rufaidah said as mommy made herself comfortable beside her. Mommy kept looking around the sparkling clean room as if she's searching for something.

"Funny how our lives aren't as arranged and clean as our rooms huh? Imagine if your life is this room, wouldn't it be perfect?" she mused out loud avoiding eye contact with her daughter who is royally shocked.

"I don't know how to say this or where to begin apologizing to you my dear. No amount of words, regrets and apologies can turn back time and right my wrongs but I want you to be the better person, find it in your beautiful and strong heart to forgive me for failing as a mother. I don't have a valid excuse for my behavior and I'd be lying if I say I do because what kind of a mother treat her children the way I treat all of you?" She wiped a lone tear and continued.

"I went to see Mama and she told me everything. I am so happy that you found the right guy that will fill the spaces we left vacant in your heart, heal the wounds of the scars we gave you and make you as happy as we'd ever make you. Am so proud of you despite everything Rufy. I love you, please forgive me" She sniffed looking broken and older than she already is.

Rufaidah couldn't believe her ears. She can't fathom if it's really happening or it is her imaginations playing tricks on her. Mommy had to nudge her back to the present.

She smiled a painful smile and said " I have already forgiven you before you asked mom and no one can fill your space in my heart because yours is specially created by Allah. I learned that if I really wanna heal then I have to let go of my anger towards you guys. You are my mother, someone I should love the most and respect the most. I keep wondering why you behave the way you do but always come up blank. Allah knows best so let's keep the past behind us where it belong and focus on the future please" They burst into heart wrenching sobs as they hug each other like their lives depends on it.