Chapter Fourteen

Time flies fast especially when you're happy and content with life, grateful for every moment which is a gift given by Allah and family whom you don't choose but glad you're part of. Hajar's results are out and she aced them all. The problem is that she didn't sit for JAMB therefore, hindering her entrance into the University. Uncle Jibran told her to start remedial classes before the next year which she is more than happy to oblige.

Rufaidah is still battling with getting her life back on track but Alhamdulillah life is good and she has nothing to complain of except her parents who are not back yet. She started working in her brother's NGO after telling him that she has already gotten an exemption certificate. How she made it possible isn't a secret to them. She used her father's influence and wealth to get it. She has to admit that her brother is doing a very good job and that he has reached out to a lot of people who are benefitting from their charity work. They leave for work together but she mostly come home alone because he stays over time to make sure everything is in order.

You look tired Noor. Stop stressing yourself please.

She read the message backing out of Reedah's driveway after stopping by on a Saturday morning to say hi to Mama before proceeding to the weekend  Islamic school she enrolled in.  She face palmed with a groan thinking that whoever the person texting her is, he knows her every move and it's high time she let her brother or uncle know about it. She has watched a lot of movies to have a nagging feeling that a stalker or a crazy psycho is texting her. None of Reedah's brothers is more than civil with her, she hasn't seen Yaya Al'amin in weeks and whenever they meet it's normal greetings and nothing more. He is no longer his playful self so that scratched out Reedah's brothers. Yaya Hafeez is out of town and she is sure he won't pull that kind of prank on her.

She tossed her phone aside and drive to her school listening to Ghamdi blasting through the speakers with a satisfied smile on her face. She can't wait to give her haddah and go over the Tajweed lessons and Hadiths.

🌷🌷🌷

She was so tired after school thinking of nothing but to say her prayers and sleep off the stress of the week. Write something on her daily notes that she made a habit of.

She met some women who she has never seen in the living room waiting for her. With a plastered fake smile she welcomed them with an inquisitive curious look as to who they are and what brought them to the house specifically to see her not her mother.

"You did not recognize us koh Rufaidah ? It has been so long and you forgot about me after what happened to you before I was fired" The thin old woman asked and she nodded in the affirmative.

"I was the one who raised you when you were a baby. I was your nanny before I got fired by your mother. I took care of Musayyib also" she explained in between fits of cough. Rufaidah called for one of the maids to serve them food and water as she listened with keen interest another part of the missing puzzle in her life.

"I am really sorry to come unannounced like this but I am very sick and I need help. Knowing how kind you were, I thought you'll help me" she finished off licking her fingers.

"What is wrong with you?" Rufaidah asked after a moment of silence, her heart beating fast. She texted Zubaidah asking if she know anything about her former nanny and the reason why she was fired. She texted back telling her that her memories of the woman are vague but she knows that there used to be a nanny that takes care of her and Musayyib.

"Cancer" the woman replied looking more pitiful than she already did. Rufaidah wanted to confirm her story before helping her out but changed her mind. After all, she doesn't have to know her before she help her.