Chapter Twenty Seven

Rufaidah sat in her office after a long day at a refugee camp going through her old diary which is filled up with mostly poems she wrote in her darkest days at night when she feels so alone that loneliness suffocates her

Rufaidah sat in her office after a long day at a refugee camp going through her old diary which is filled up with mostly poems she wrote in her darkest days at night when she feels so alone that loneliness suffocates her. She wiped a stray tear, grief engulfing her whole being. She is grateful for those days because they've shaped her into what she is today, they made her strong and thankful for what she have now. Al'amin stays at home in bed or in the study reading books, saying he is glad to have a break to read something other than contract agreements and sketches and what not. Rufaidah will laugh at his childish enthusiasm knowing that he miss doing what he knows how to do best and can't wait to get back to work which will be soon in shaa Allah.

She kept the diary aside debating on going home or staying till closing hour. She decided on the former bringing out her laptop from it's bag to write a report. Immersed in work with her phone plugged to charge, Rufaidah didn't notice the barrage of notifications lighting up her screen because the phone is on silence as she continued typing her report oblivious of the world around her.

After an hour and a half, she stood up to offer her asr salah before heading home. A knock stopped her mid stride towards the toilet.

"Hey sis! Got a minute?" Shams nervously asked, looking tired.

"Of course! Come in B. Hope all is well? You look beat" she observed.

Shams bobbed his head before saying " I've been calling you but you didn't pick, so many message left unread so I thought you're mad at me or something" he babbled.

"Why will I be mad at you bro? Am totally confused right now. Tell me please"

" I guessed you haven't seen any of my texts then. Our brothers are back, I picked them from the airport with their family. So I sent you a text inviting you home for dinner"  He looked down, not wanting to see her expression.

"Oh cool, they are highly welcome home. Extend my regards to them. I can't come for dinner or anything that has to do with meeting them. I only have one brother who's right in front of me. As far as I'm concerned, I don't know them neither do I want to. Have a great night B" the loud bang coming from the toilet door resonates the office.

Shams punched the air, knowing that Rufaidah will definitely give him a hard time. He decided to call her husband but decided against it.

Rufaidah prayed with a trembling body, trying hard to keep herself from breaking down. She don't know how Shams manage to act strong all the time but she cannot, she can forgive her brothers for abandoning them but she can't forget. It's too painful to let go, even if she's happily married to the love of her life.

She managed to reach home in one piece. She didn't notice the beautiful decor in the living room, neither the delicious aroma wafting through the house, she was blinded with rage, seeking for respite in anything she can get. She's so mad she forgot to keep repeating innalillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun istighfar and isti'adha. Al'amin was in the kitchen, cooking and counting the minutes his Noor will be home. He specially miss her during the day and wanted to do something romantic for her. He heard the sound of the door closing and saw her rush into the bedroom shaking.