14

"So, on Monday

"So, on Monday...what happens?" Brian asks getting everyone's attention.

"Are we still friends, you mean? If we're friends now, that is?" I ask and he nods.

"Do you want the truth?" Claire asks and again Brian nods.

"I don't think so." She says bluntly.

"Well, do you mean all of us or just John?" Allison asks and even tho I'm not facing him I can sense his eye roll.

"With all of you." She shrugs and I gape at her. What a bitch.

"That's a real nice attitude, Claire!"

"Oh, be honest, Andy...if Brian came walking up to you in the hall on Monday, what would you do? I mean picture this, you're there with all the sports. I know exactly what you'd do, you'd say hi to him and when he left you'd cut him all up so your friends wouldn't think you really liked him!"

"No way!" He exclaims.

"'Kay, what if I came up to you?" Allison asks expecting a different response.

"Same exact thing!" Claire shouts and I clench my jaw angrily while glaring at my sister.

"You're a bitch!" Bender shouts furiously.

"Why? 'Cause I'm telling the truth, that makes me a bitch?" She scoffs.

"No! 'Cause you know how shitty that is to do to someone! And you don't got the balls to stand up to your friends and tell 'em that you're gonna like who you wanna like!"

"Okay, what about you, you hypocrite Why don't you take Allison to one of your heavy metal vomit parties? Or take Brian out to the parking lot at lunch to get high? What about Andy for that matter, or me what about Avery? You gunna dump your long line of girlfriends and have a real relationship with her? I mean what would your 'friends' say about that huh? They'd laugh or congratulate you as if she's some sort of prize."

"Don't you ever talk about my friends!-" I've moved slightly away from Bender as it's clear he's extremely angry and I wouldn't want to make anything worse causing him to be angry with me. "You don't know any of my friends, you don't look at any of my friends and you certainly wouldn't condescend to speak to any of my friends so you just stick to the things you know, shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW and your poor--rich--drunk mother in the Caribbean!" My eyes drift to Claire as I hear a choked sob.

"Shut up!" Although I hate seeing her cry, she has no right to in this moment. This whole argument wouldn't be happening if she wasn't such a self-absorbed bitch.

"And as far as being concerned about what's gonna happen when you and I walk down the hallways at school, you can forget it! 'Cause it's never gonna happen! Just bury your head in the sand...and wait for your fuckin' prom! And stop spitting lies around that I don't give a shit about your sister, coz I'm gunna do exactly what you fucking said. I actually like her, fuck knows where she got her personality from because she's better than your entire family." I look down when Bender's hand grips mine tightly.

"I hate you!" Claire shouts with tears still rolling down her cheeks.

"Yeah? Good!"

"Then I assume Allison and I are - Avery too - better people than you guys, huh? Us weirdos.. Do you, would you do that to me?" He directs his question to Allison.

"I don't have any friends..." the fuck am I? I think to myself jokingly.

"Well if you did?"

"No...I don't think the kind of friends I'd have would mind..." her eyes drift over to me and I smile at her gripping Bender's hand.

"No I don't think they would." She smiles back.

"I just wanna tell, each of you, that I wouldn't do that...I wouldn't and I will not! 'Cause I think that's real shitty."

"Your friends wouldn't mind because they look up to us."

"Jesus Claire you're a group of snobby twats you're not some great band like WHAM or some shit." I roll my eyes as Bender laughs sarcastically.

"You're so conceited, Claire. You're so conceited. You're so, like, full of yourself, why are you like that?" She begins crying again and I sigh leaning into Bender slightly but cautiously in case he's still angry. He tells me the answer to this thought is no as he pulls me extremely close to him between his legs so I shuffle slightly to get comfy but he lets out a groan and then I feel... something poke my lower back and instantly just sit still.

"I'm not saying that to be conceited! I hate it! I hate having to go along with everything my friends say!"

"Well then why do you do it?" Brian questions sadly.

"I don't know, I don't...you don't understand..you don't. You're not friends with the same kind of people that Andy and I are friends with! You know, you just don't understand the pressure that they can put on you!" Brian looks quite angry and shocked at this, is quite a good look on him to be honest.

"I don't understand what? You think I don't understand pressure, Claire? Well fuck you! Fuck you!" Brian attempts to cover up his crying by hiding his head in his arm.
M

"Know why I'm here today? Do you? I'm here because Mr. Ryan found a gun in the locker."

"Why'd you have a gun in your locker?" I ask.

"I tried. You pull the fuckin' trunk on it and the light's s'posed to go on...and it didn't go on, I mean, I..." he rambles about his failed attempt of building a lamp and I smile apologetically at him. Not going to lie thought... my lamp was groovy as shit.

"What's the gun for Brian?" Speaks Andrew.

"Just forget it..." he mutters and Andrew rolls his eyes,

"You brought it up, man!"

"I can't have an F, I can't have it and I know my parents can't have it! Even if I aced the rest of the semester, I'm still only a B. And everything's ruined for me!" No one says anything for a little while before Claire speaks up with pity,

"Oh Brian..."

"So I considered my options, you know?"

"No! Killing yourself is not an option!" Claire exclaims.

"Well I didn't do it, did I? No, I don't think so!"

"It was a hand gun?" I ask quietly.

"No, it was a flare gun, went off in my locker." I bite my lip to hold a laugh in.

"Really?" Asks Andrew, beginning to laugh.

"It's not funny..." eventually I can't hold it in anymore and my laugh flies from my mouth, this gets everyone else laughing including Brian.

"Yes it is...fuckin' elephant was destroyed!" We burst out laughing again.

"You wanna know what I did to get in here?" Once the laughs had quietened down Allison speaks up, "Nothing...I didn't have anything better to do." We all laugh again and she looks round confused.

"You're laughing at me?"

"No!" Andrew defends. Allison smiles before letting out a small laugh herself,

"Yeah you are!"