Chapter 9

Hayden looked at Nate making sure Alyson was fully asleep.

"Next time you hit on Alyson again I will rip out your throat," Hayden warns.

"Chill out you act like your her-" Nate says but Hayden cuts him off.

"I am her mate, so if you could back off. I'd appreciate it," Hayden says dangerously.

"Well, you two don't seem like mates, from what I've heard you haven't told her yet. Nor have you laid claim to her yet so she's a free woman right now," Nate says.

"A free woman with a mate. I'm waiting to tell her! She's clearly not ready for this yet. Look at her!" Hayden says.

"Or maybe a mate is exactly what she needs right now. I'm just willing if you're not man enough to step up!" Nate says if he could be shrugging he would be.

"First you go after your brother's mate now you're going after mine! Can't you see this is ridiculous? This isn't how mates work! It's only one person!" Hayden says his voice turning into a growl but he dare not to make any actual noise since he didn't want to wake Alyson.

"Not if she rejects you," Nate says his voice showing his intentions.

"Just stay away from her. You miserable mate stealer," Hayden warns as the others come back into camp.

"Collin, can you watch over Alyson for me?" Hayden asks the first brother he sees.

"Ugh sure, but why me?" Collin says moving toward the two of them.

"Well, Mason moves too much, Her and Dustin aren't on the best terms. I don't trust her with Nate or Luca," Hayden says. Collin sits where Hayden got up. Hayden disappears into the woods to change back followed by a clearly upset Nate.

Kai suddenly wakes up and wiggles out of Alyson's grip.

"Is the wolf really hers'?" Luca asks staring at the pup who has engaged Mason in play time.

"Well, I wouldn't say she has him in a way you have a pet but more of a mother-child bond. She can speak to animals so this honestly doesn't surprise me," Dustin says his tone purely business.

"Is that the reason she was able to build a telepathic bridge with us so quickly?" Luca asks looking at the sleeping girl.

"I would imagine so," Collin says but pauses for a sigh," it could also be why she's able to make us fear her ever so slightly when she gets angry. You should've seen her when Dustin tried to attack her it was scary. Her whole body radiated power, and she was able to dodge all of Dustin's attacks without so much as a scratch."

"She did the same to quirt there too," Luca says referencing his younger brother, "I'd almost push to say she has this odd Alpha trait about her."

"That she does, but I think it's more of a combination of her personality and her ability to speak to animals. I've never seen her get angry when I was in my human form, I doubt it would be as effective," Dustin says.

"I dunno she has eight siblings, I'm sure she's used to fighting for her keep. It's odd though she's never brought up her family. It's odd for someone who has so many family members," Collin says.

"Maybe she doesn't like them," Mason offers.

"I suppose that could be an option," Luca says, "I'm just glad she was here to help that idiot."

"Yeah, if she wasn't here he'd be dead. None of us could've changed fast enough to save him," Collin says.

"We also wouldn't be able to find the heart of the forest without her guidance," Dustin says.