36. Heartbroken Phase

Two Weeks Later

Two Weeks Later

Sweat was dripping down my face as I kept my focus forward, running as if my life depended on it. For some odd reason, I felt like I was being watched or followed, but I never saw anything out of the ordinary. Wes was behind me, trying his best to keep up, but I was in the zone and there was no catching up to me. Or so I thought.

"Shit!" I breathed out, stopping dead in my tracks, as I bent over and placed my hands on my knees.

"You alright?" Wes asked me.

"Yeah...I just...I need a minute." I was overdoing it and I knew that for a fact, but I would do whatever I had to do, just to keep my mind off of everything that was going on around me. I hadn't seen or spoken to Christian since that day in his office, even though he has reached out to me nonstop, but I had nothing to say to him. As far as I was concerned...he was dead to me.

"Here. Hydrate." Wes handed me a bottled water and I twisted the top off, taking a long swig. "You need to take it easy, Destiny. I haven't seen you this worked up since..."

"Wes, don't!" I snapped, cutting him off. "I'm fine, okay? Let's just finish our run." I handed him my water bottle, bending down to tie my shoes, until I heard a familiar voice.

"Destiny?" What are the fucking odds, right? Wrong. Just wrong. I looked back, seeing Christian jogging his way towards me, and that sent me sprinting away from him. "Destiny!"

"Nope! Nope, nope, hell no!" I murmured to myself, running as fast as my feet would allow me. Of course, I wasn't as fast as I thought I was, because he had caught up to me.

"Destiny, stop!" Christian pleaded, as he swerved in front of me and stopped, almost making me run into him. He looked completely different, as if he had barely been sleeping, let alone taking care of himself. He had bags under his eyes, which told me that he hadn't be getting much sleep, and he had stubble growing on his face; which actually looked pretty good on him. I had to resist the urge to touch him, which wouldn't be a problem, seeing as how I was still pissed at him.

"What do you want, Christian?"

"I just want a minute of your time, to explain myself."

"You don't have to explain anything to me, because I really don't care." I lied, knowing damn well that I did care. If I didn't, then I wouldn't be hurting the way that I was. Ugh, why couldn't I just not care?

"I know how it looked when you walked into my office, but I promise you...it was not what you think." He explained. "I called Anastasia to my office to confront her about what she and her boss did. When I told her that you planned on pressing charges on the both of them, she pleaded for me to help her, grabbing my suit jacket in the process. That's when you walked in, but I swear... that's all that happened."

"Are you done?" I asked him. He nodded his head, giving me the cutest puppy dog eyes blink he could muster up. "Well so am I. Goodbye Christian. Wes, I'd like to go home now."

"But Destiny..." Wes began, but I cut him off.

"Now Wes!" I turned and walked away from him, heading towards the car. It was taking everything in me to not cry right at this very moment, but I couldn't hold it in. When I felt that single tear slide down my cheek, I quickly wiped it away, climbing into the backseat and laying down.

"What was that all about?" Wes asked, as soon as he climbed in the car.

"I don't want to talk about it." I grumbled.

"He literally sat there and explained what happened, just for you to shoot him down as if he means nothing to you!" I quickly sat up and glared at Wes, who was glaring back at me through the rearview mirror.

"I don't give a fuck about his tired ass explanations! There's a lot you don't know about our relationship, so don't sit here and try to scold me like I'm your fucking child Wesley! Last time I checked, you work for me, and the next time I say let's go...you better bring your ass!" I shouted at him. Not once have I ever spoken to Wes this way, let alone mention that he worked for me, because in all honesty...he was more than just my security detail. He was my best friend.

"Whatever you say, Ms. Langston." I could hear the bitterness in his voice, when he said my name. The rest of the car ride was completely silent and neither of us said anything to each other.

When we arrived back at Escala, I hauled ass out of the elevator, while Wes stormed off to his room. As always, Audrey and Elliot were hanging out, and I'm convinced that he lives here now.

"Damn, you look pissed! What happened?" Audrey asked, as I stomped passed them, and headed to my room. "Okay...rude!" I wasn't in the mood for anyone or anything at the point, and I just wanted everyone to leave me alone.

*

I locked myself in my room for hours, spending half my time soaking in a hot bubble bath, and the other half I spent sleeping. I had been exhausting myself and I needed to get it together, but what can I say? I was in a heartbroken phase at the moment and I had to pull myself out of it.

I came out of my room, wincing at the soreness I felt throughout my body, as I made my way downstairs.

"Well look who finally came out of hibernation." Audrey spoke, in a sarcastic tone.

"I don't need your sarcastic comments right now." I sighed.

"I know, but you're going to get them anyways. What happened between you and Wes earlier? You both seemed riled up about something."

"I really don't want to talk about it right now."

"Okay then, I won't pry. By the way, this envelope showed up on the elevator, along with that rose." She said, pointing to the single red rose and a card looking note.

"Probably something from Christian. Just throw it out."

"You don't even want to know what it says?" She asked me.

"Nope." I said.

"Fine, I'll read it for you then." She ripped open the envelope and immediately furrowed her eyebrows. "This is definitely not from Christian."

"What do you mean? What does it say?"

"What do you have that I don't?" She said, showing me the note. A cold chill went down my spine, as I snatched the note from her and ripped it up.

"I'm gonna kill that bitch!" I shouted, throwing the ripped pieces in the trashcan. That note had to come from one person and one person only, and that person was Anastasia.

After the incident that happened in Christian's office, I went ahead and pressed charges against her and Jack, hearing that they were both arrested a few days later. I wasn't sure if someone bailed them out, or at least bailed her out, but I was going to have some words for her whenever we did cross paths again; even though I wasn't going to be doing much talking. I'd just let my hands do the talking for me and hopefully she'll understand that I'm not the one to be fucked with! PERIODT!