2.

After receiving those shocking news, I ask to my boss what should I do with the little girl now that she's without parents; he told me to keep her in my flat for a few days, but I obviously wanna know if she has like, a father... somewhere out there.
I've decided that I'm gonna do some research about this family.

I stare at the little kid from afar, biting my lip roughly.
Then I shrug a little, walking up to her with a big, fake smile.
She's still looking down.

"Hey kiddo. I talked to the doctors... I'm sorry but your mom went to heaven."

The girl looks at me with a sad face, Then she lets out a sob with her head down, and rubs her eyes repeadetly.

"I wanna go home..." She says in a weak tone, full on crying.

"Sure, I just need to do some stuff before we leave..."

"Doctor?"
I look at her, waiting for her to talk, with a sweet smile.

"Can you carry me? My tummy still hurts..."

I smile again, picking her up carefully and gathering all my things while walking out of the building, towards my car.

----------

As I open the door, Ben turns his head a little, smiling at me.

"Welcome back Joe."
Then he turns it around again, this time with a surprised, and not definetly happy expression.

"Joe, wh-"
"I'll explain you later!" I say in a low tone, as I place her on the kitchen chair carefully.

"Stay here, uh...what's your name darling?"
"Olivia"
I nod with a smile, looking at Ben.
"And you, please come with me upstairs."
I run upstairs before he can even reply and I close the door as soon as he gets inside.
"Listen, that kid lost her mother last night, she doesn't have anyone, well at least nobody came up at the hospital... And my boss asked me to take care of her for a few days. I promise it won't be long, I just need to do some research, I'll go to the police tomorrow morning! Please don't be mad."

Ben sighs, showing a sad face and then nodding.
"It's okay, I'll help you if you want. Tomorrow I have the day off."
He winks at me playfully, making me roll my eyes as we both go downstairs.

"What would I do without you." I say in a teasy tone, and we both chuckle.