13.

"I can't believe you don't like pizza, Joe."

"Oh no, I like pizza. Just not the american one. Have you ever tried italian pizza before?? It's out of this world."

"Well, then I guess you'll have to bring me with you when you go there." He winks at me, looking at the list we made earlier;

My parents are coming here tomorrow, so we decided to buy some stuff. And here we are.

I stand there, holding Olivia's hand firmly and staring at my friend.

Then I clear my throat, following him.

"So, what's next on the list?"

"Uh, vegetables and wine."

"I'll get the wine" I say quickly, looking down and walking fast towards the wine section. I notice a bottle, on the top shelf, and I try to take it, struggling a little.

I tiptoe and I reach it, so I start pulling it towards me, and before I can grab it, I hear Ben's voice.

"Wait, let me help you."

"No, I got it." I blush, trying to grab the bottle.

"Cmon, I'll take the stepladder."

"No really, I can do it."

Ben tries to take the bottle, but I push it away, wanting to do it alone. He sighs, pulling it towards himself, and I pull it back.
We start arguing in front of everyone and suddenly the bottle falls, breaking into a million pieces.
He looks at me, sighing again.

"Sorry..." I smile awkwardly, grabbing another bottle and putting it into the cart, near the vegetables.

"All done, let's go home!" He says, putting Liv on his shoulders and patting my back for a second to reassure me.
We stand in line, receving some looks by the people around us.
Then Ben gets closer to me, reaching for my ear.

"We made some mess, huh?" He whispers, laughing silently and making me shiver; after a second he says that I accidentally drop like 40 packs of gum and candy by resting my hand on the shelf they're in.

I blush for the embarassment, picking it all up, wanting to disappear from the store.

---------------

The next day

My parents finally arrived from Italy and they already love Olivia. They brought her a dress and a teddy bear; she likes it so much that she even brings it in the bathroom with her.

I think it's adorable.

As I prepare two glasses of wine for them, Ben approaches me silently, placing his hand on my shoulder and making me bump the glasses together.

"Jesus Christ, stop sneaking from behind!" I look at him and I regret it a second after, cause as soon as I see him smiling, my heart starts pounding and I look away.

"Sorry, I uh...-"
"Joe! Can we help you with something? Maybe cooking or setting the table?"
"No mom, I'm fine, go outside and relax okay?"

"Alright honey!"

I shake my head, cleaning the counter and biting my lip briefly.

"You were saying?"
"Nothing, I just wanted to-"
"Daddy! I found a little bird!" Olivia puts a little bird in my hands, smiling widely.
"It's a nice bird baby, but please, put it back outside. It needs to stay in open spaces."
I glance at Ben, flashing a quick smile and helping my daughter getting it out.

Then I go to my bestfriend, sighing.

"I'm sorry! You can tell me after lunch, okay?" I say, nervously walking towards the door.
"Yeah."
I nod in response, setting the table and putting all the food we made on it.