15.

Ben started coming home in the middle of the night at the same hour. Precisely at 2 am, every. single. night.

Sometimes I'm sleeping on the couch, and the sound of the opening door wakes me up.

But since I don't want to talk or look at him, I just lay down, completely silent.

Last night he greeted someone from a car that wasn't his. It was too dark to see their face unfortunately.
I waited in the kitchen and when he came in, we stared at each other for a brief moment before he walked upstairs, saying nothing.

This is not what I wanted...

Last night I cried. So hard that my throat started burning and aching for all the sobs I've held in, as well as my chest.
Then the next morning I refused to get up, telling my boss I was sick and I couldn't come to work.
Thankfully, he believed me.

After opening my eyes I roll over, covering my head with the blankets and feeling like crying again.
Somebody knocks at my door, and I purposely ignore it, biting my lip.

"Hey Joe... do you happen to be hungry? I bought a bunch of donuts."

I murmur a 'no' from under the blankets, wanting him to go away.
He goes quiet, and a second after I hear him getting downstairs with a sigh.

I'm actually starving, but I'd rather not eat than face him.

"Daddy...?"

I sit up quickly, fixing my hair and looking at my daughter, not wanting to worry her too.

"Yes, honey?"
"I brought you a chocolate donut... for breakfast!"
She says, climbing on the mattress and handing it to me.
I take a bite, smiling with my eyes squinted and kissing her forehead.

"Thank you princess, you made me feel a little better."
She hugs me tightly before rushing out of the bedroom.

I couldn't wish for a better daughter.

-------------

Three days later

As I watch tv while sipping coffee, Ben walks in, all dressed up, reaching for the door.

I look at him, blushing but trying to keep it cool.
He stops in the hallway, taking his jacket and staring at me.
I turn off the tv, raising my eyebrow.
"What?"
"I'm going out... I think I'll be back tomorrow."
I get up, wanting to say something, to stop him from opening the door, but without even realizing it, he's already outside, and he's getting in a car. The same one I saw last night.

I look at them driving off, and realizing that the person next to him is a guy.
Olivia stands next to me, taking my hand.

"Where's dad Ben going?" I bite my lip for her choice of words, staring at the window.

"I don't know."
My chest tightens again.