3.

Even though we're both unsure of how long Olivia will stay with us, Ben went to the store in the morning, and bought a lot of kids stuff for her.

He seems really excited about this. Too excited.
I just hope he doesn't get attached to her.

Anyway, while my flatmate was out, I went to the police station to give Olivia's information to a woman (I think her name was Jane), so they could search for her relatives.
They told me I'll receive a call in a few days with the results.

After that, I went home just to found Ben playing with her on the carpet, in our living room.

"Hey guys, what are you doing?"
"We're just playing, wanna join us?" Asks Ben with a grin.
"Not particularly, actually I think Olivia needs a bath."
The ginger girl gets up from the ground with a wide smile as soon as I say 'bath'.
I smile and I bring her upstairs to let her wash.
"Call me if you need anything, darling."
I run downstairs and I sit next to Ben.
"So, how was your morning?" I ask, playing with a piece of lego that I picked up from the ground.
"It was nice, what about you? Got any information?"
"Well, not yet. They'll call me at the end of the week, I guess. Hopefully with good news."

"I don't know if it matters, but she told me that she's never met her dad before. That means he's probably out there somewhere."
We look at each other briefly and I nod, looking away again.
"That's a good start."
I say, almost whispering, hearing Olivia talking and playing with water from upstairs.

-----------

A few days later

"Hello?"

"Mr. Mazzello?"

"Yes, it's me."

"I'm Jane Turner, from the police department. I just wanted to tell you that I've done a lot of research in these days, but sadly I couldn't find anything helpful. Olivia's mother has never been in a relationship since she was like sixteen. And her parents died long time ago, so..."

"Oh, then how did she get Olivia?"

"I've read that she took somebody's sperm, five years ago. I have yet to find the name of the donator, it will take a few more days, Sir."

"Alright, well, thank you for your help, goodbye."

I hang up with a long sigh, biting my lip. After a few seconds I feel Ben's hand on my shoulder;

"You okay Joe? You seem a bit stressed."
"Yeah... it was the police department. Apparently Olivia doesn't have a father, or relatives for what it matters. Her mom took sperm from the bank, five years ago. So we have nothing."

I run my hand through my hair, feeling suddenly hopeless.
He strokes my back briefly, trying to comfort me.

"I'm sure they'll find something, Joe."

He then pauses a little, looking in front of him.

"Hey! What if we go for a walk in the park with Olivia, and then we grab some lunch?" He suggests, smiling widely at me. His eyes seem brighter today for some reason.

He's always been a positive person, I've always been realistic and more firm. It's almost like we complete each other.

I nod again, smiling back at him.
"Sounds cool, I'll go tell her."

I quickly go upstairs to tell her about our plans and she agrees happily, running downstairs, past me.

I shouldn't but I'm starting to get used to her presence in our house.