Early Grave

The next morning they woke up with a bit of a scare. Her glucose meter was going off, the number flashing 48. Lila Jane barely heard it though, she just felt so tired. Brantley woke in a panic hearing the beeping.

"Shit! Baby? Baby girl!" He yelled, shaking her. "I'm awake." She slurred. "Daddy.." "What is it baby? Tell daddy what's wrong?" He begged. "Chest." He immediately put his hand to her chest feeling her heart. It was beating like a hummingbird.

"Ok babygirl, daddy has you." He said moving quickly. "Listen to my voice, ok?" Talking as he ran to grab the small bottle the nurse had shown them from the counter. "Can you talk to me, baby? Let me hear your voice." "Tired." Her voice was the best music he had ever heard.

"Alright, drink this for daddy

"Alright, drink this for daddy." He said popping the cap and pouring it in her mouth. She choked a bit at first before instinct took over.

It felt like an eternity but was less than a minute before she opened her eyes. "What happened?" She asked groggily. He laughed in joy. "What happened was you tried to give me a heart attack." He said smiling and kissing around her face. She looked confused. "I didn't even mean to." She said still recovering.

"Well that just how good you are, babygirl. You don't even have to try anymore." She seemed more awake with each passing minute. Finally she was able to sit up, he didn't let her go and had her lean on him. "Can we go to breakfast now?" She asked happily. He couldn't help it, laughter bubbled up.

"Ya, baby. Get dressed and I'll call the others." He said helping her stand and making sure she was steady before letting her go. "Ok." He saw her go to pick her shoes first as she always did. She said her outfits were based on the shoes not the other way around. "Baby, maybe no heels this morning."

The look she gave him you would have thought he shot Sylo in front of her. "What? Why?!" She asked near tears. He figured he would be holding her while she walked anyway so why upset her more. "You know what? Forget I said anything. But maybe not too high for daddy,, please?" She smiled happily and nodded. "Ok, I can do that." She said looking to her low heels sections.

He sighed as he grabbed his phone and let them know they were leaving for breakfast in 30. He watched as Lila Jane laid out her outfit then went to the bathroom and he heard the water running. "Don't wash your hair we don't have that kind of time." He hollered towards the bathroom. "I wasn't!" She yelled back. With her amount of hair it took more than an hour to dry and for her fix it the way she liked.

He didn't want her to wait that long to get some more sugar into her. She came out 10 minutes later wrapped in the pink towel that always hung next to his black. True to her word her hair was dry as she started getting dressed.

 True to her word her hair was dry as she started getting dressed

He quickly threw on clothes as well. Putting on his rings. Taking a second to look at his half of their matching wedding rings.

They were more alike than they knew when on their last anniversary they had surprised each other with tattoos

They were more alike than they knew when on their last anniversary they had surprised each other with tattoos. Her back piece had blown him away, but the look on her face when he had taken his wedding ring off and her name was there was one he would always remember.

"Let's go, big daddy! I'm starving and Caro says they got us a table." He quickly finished making sure he had his wallet and threw on his hat. "I'm comin' hold on." He said walking to her at the front of the bus. "You sure you go everything?" He checked. It was her hesitation that worried him. "Yes." She said after a moment.

"Even your test meter?" He asked having grabbed it on the way out. Her eyes went round, before she took off for it he held it out to her. She blushed slightly as she put it in her bag. "Thank you, big daddy." She said with a smile. "Anytime, babygirl. Now let's get some food." The bus was parked just a few streets from where they were meeting so it was a quick walk.

They spotted the row of tables pushed together as the walked in. The crowd waiting for a seat parting at the sight of Brantley.

He kept Lila Jane tucked under his arm making sure her arm stayed protected

He kept Lila Jane tucked under his arm making sure her arm stayed protected. The crowd parting must have tipped the rest off because they were waiting as they walked up.

"Hey guys, what took y'all so long?" Caroline asked worried. Brantley pulled out his wife's chair before taking his own. "Miss Lila Jane here decided to try to kill me this mornin'." He said nonchalantly reading the menu. "Wait, hold up. What?" Luke said what they all were wondering.

"My sugar plummeted this morning. My meter says it's back to normal now though. I just need  a glass of milk." She and Caroline laughed when Luke immediately grabbed the attention of a passing waitress. "Honey, can she get a glass of milk, please? It's a medical emergency." He said and sat back down.

Lila shook her head as she watched the waitress scurry to do as he asked. "Thomas Luther..." she sighed. "Listen, you are not leaving me to deal with these two alone. I'm not sure either of them would make it a day. So, if I have to make a scene sometimes I'm more than willing."

There was a round of "hell ya's" that went up from the men at the table. She nodded, "Thank you, Luke." He waved away her words. "We're family, family does. Plus you keep thing interestin." He teased, thanking the waitress as she sat down the glass. "Now drink your milk and pick out some God awful meal and let eat people."