Chapter 9

*Flashbacks in bold

He had just had his first chemotherapy session. He was now resting in his hospital treatment room. There was so much pain that he couldn't sleep. Despite the medications he was given to help him sleep quicker to avoid the extreme pain. The first session lasted for several hours and it wasn't easy to go through it. His strength was slowly going away and so was his patience.

This was too much for him. But he had to go through it, he needs it to prolong his death. He has to wait for Zain to fulfil his promise. The promise that in itself was very heavy and painful for Shahroze but he had no other option. Before Zain left, he promised Shahroze that he would bring Rudaba to meet him. He knew Zain would fulfil his promise. That is what he hoped, and this is what kept him alive and this was enough for to survive the pain of this treatment.

Seeing Rudaba one last time was all he wanted.

Telling her one last time that he loved her was all he waited for.

Hearing her say that she is happy with Zain is all he wanted to hear before he closed his eyes one last time.

Life was so cruel. So harsh and so cutting. He was here all alone. Suffering from this killer disease all alone. There was no one with him present to give him even two words of encouragement or hope.

Never in a million years, a normal living human being thinks of how lucky they are to be fit, healthy, happy and moving. Not many say a prayer of gratitude and thankfulness to their God either. They take their life for granted. They don't realise how it's a blessing to be living a healthy life. Being able to wake up every day, being able to breathe every day and being able to walk around, eat and drink every day is such a blessing. We all take it for granted until we see someone in front of our eyes slowly losing it all. Then it hits. Then the reality hits that this life is too short. Too temporary.

Shahroze was realising all of that right now. In his time alone, he was getting the chance to think back at everything he lost, everything he took for granted and everything that could have been his if fate and God's will be different. But he had accepted it now. He knew this was it. So, he wasn't going to complain to his God. Instead, he prayed for her. For her. The only woman he has loved. He said a prayer for her and for her happy future. He wanted to die in peace knowing she is safe, protected and happy.

-------------

Almost after two days of Shahroze's call, Rudaba came out of her room today. She wrapped herself with a shawl and sat in the garden in an attempt to get some fresh air and inner peace. Nature always gave her peace and calm, so she was here to find it again. Close to plants and flowers.

"The flowers are beautiful."

She had her eyes closed and was leaning against her chair but now she opened them and looked to her right and found Zain sitting on the chair beside her. He was smiling at her, but he was also looking careful.

"You? Here?"

"Yes, I am here."

She sat forward and straightened herself and had a stern expression on her face.

"So, how are you?"

"Zinda hoon. Zindagi guzar rahi hai. Aur kia hona hai mujhe."

Zain had looked away now and hid his smile. Looking away from her, he calmly muttered.

"Usay maaf kardo, Rudaba."

She shifted her eyes towards him and he could see the shiny tears forming. But her expression was cold and bitter.

"Uskay aisa karne ke bawajood?"

"Haan. Uskay aisa karne ke bawajood."

"Kyun? Nahi karungi mein maaf usay. Kabhi nahi karungi."