Chapter 20 [Last]

Two months later

The phone kept ringing but Rudaba was fast asleep. She was feeling tired and had no energy to talk on the phone especially this early in the morning. Zain had gone to Washington D.C for a meeting and he would return in the evening and she knew it wasn't him calling. Therefore, there was no urgency to take the call. She kept her eyes closed and tried to sleep when the phone rang again.

Heaving a sigh, she got up and with a frown set on her face, took the call.

"Good morning is this Mrs Mustafa?"

"Yes."

"Rudaba, this is Dr. Cara. Your reports have come, and I wanted to congratulate you that you and Zain are expecting your first child."

Just by hearing her this, the frown she had set on her face turned into a beaming smiling one. She was so overwhelmed to hear it that she didn't even respond to the doctor.

"Rudaba, are you there?"

"Yes... Yeah I was listening. Thank you for letting me know, I will come and get the reports later today."

"Great, take care of yourself. See you soon."

The call had ended but she was immersed in her own thoughts. The smile was etched on her face for as long as she could remember. This was such a special feeling in itself. The idea of motherhood. The idea of having her own child. Her own baby. Just these thoughts were enough to make her all excited and nervous at the same time. With the tears of gratitude in her eyes, she said a prayer for her, her husband and the life she would be giving birth to after some months.

She couldn't wait for Zain to return home and to tell him as well. If she could, she would call him now, but she knew he would be finishing work before he takes his flight for New York. She decided to wait. She wanted to tell him face to face when he was right in front of her.

---------------

Evening

Rudaba had been to the hospital and had received her reports. Upon returning home, she prepared hers and Zain's favourite dishes. After preparing the food, she stayed in the living room awaiting his arrival and it didn't take long. As soon as she heard the door opening, she walked towards the entrance with a warm and welcoming smile on her face.

"Assalam o Alaikum!" He had said entering inside. Shutting the door behind him, he greeted her with a smile and hugged her.

"Walaikum Assalam. So! How has your journey been?"

They walked into the living room and chatted along when upon seeing the dinner preparation, Zain had a surprised but also a happy look on his face.

"Yeh itna sab... khair hai?"

"Bilkul khair hai, tum do dinon baad aye ho toh socha special treatment banta hai."

"Well then, I can't wait to try everything that you have cooked with so much effort. Thank you, wife."

"Go freshen up, I will warm up everything."

She had said as she smiled and patted his face slightly and left for the kitchen.

Returning home had never felt so good. Zain had felt that all his tiredness had gone away. Coming back home to your wife waiting for you was a special feeling in itself. Seeing her welcome, him like this, he remembered the time when she came home from university after her final exam last month and he had made her welcome special too. From cooking her favourite food to decorating the house and everything else that made her happy. Shaking his head, he went inside his room to change.