VIII

~Victim #1

The blaring sound of the alarm clock pulled me from my deep sleep. Although usually I wake up feeling calm, and pure today I felt Extremely overwhelmed, like this scalding heat was pressing down on my chest. As soon as I rose from my bed, I go over the events of the night before in my head.

On my way home last night...I stumbled across a man, with scales and Demonic eyes; his gaze read cold and heartless. There were bodies Littering the floor of the park. As I slowly passed by he had made eye contact with me. I gasped, pulling myself from my thoughts. I didn't want to walk to school alone today, better yet I didn't want to walk anywhere alone at all.

"Mom!" I call to my mother whose silently moving around the house getting ready for work.

"I don't feel so good. Can I stay home today?" She sounds hesitant but soon she replies, "okay dear, but you're gonna be home alone all day- I'm In 'till noon." My mom peers in through the doorway, with a warm smile. I nod and lay back down. I slowly started dozing off , until a slight clang Of  noise breaks the silence in which rested upon the house.

I sigh, and decide to go investigate. I wanted to go back to sleep, but I didn't want some crazy cannibalistic demon man eating my spleen During my oblivious slumber. I wander into the living room and call out into the beckoning Silence, "Mom?" I received no reply, so I continued investigating the room; more specifically the front door.

I calm, but wearily- approached it extending my right hand. The tips of my fingers barely brushed the crisp metal doorknob. This simple act sent chills down my spine.

I flinched within each movement made, but soon enough opened the door. "Mom?? Are you still here?" I call once more resulting in the same silence as the last.

The concrete felt like ice beneath my feet. "I guess i'm just paranoid then" I muttered to myself nonchalantly.

I jolt up, once hearing the same exact noise as before. My breathes hitch, and it my heart beat is accelerating.

Suddenly a tint of darkish brown and white- shoots across the porch leaping into my arms. I gaspes at first, "SHIT!" I quickly cuffed my hand over my mouth.
I sighed in relief once I realized it was just my cat

"Glad I'm not the only one whose anxious." I cooed my little calico cat as she gave me a fearful look.

mere seconds later an unfamiliar presence stole my attention. Ear splitting growls and sloshing noises could be heard. A draft of warmth kissed the tips of my skin from behind me. I shuffled over my feet uneasily, turning to face whatever creature was there.

I fixed my gaze on some large blood-red beast like creature;  practically jumping from my skin.

I was beyond terrified at the sight before me, but what made it Even more horrific was the Sudden piercing pain that engulfed my stomach once it Lunged at me. I release an ear piercing scream before the creature grips onto my ankles pulling me closer.

My spleen soon felt as if it were being torn Wide open. I watched in fear, suffering as my conscience dissolves. I watched as the creature above me; feasts on my insides.

I'm enveloped in a deep darkness, finally..just finally..fading away slowly.

~Marcy

A varnish on something solid is a beautiful thing, an aesthetic to be proud of. Yet to say this is beautiful when it is a facade over the rotten, greed made palatable with the excuse of survival... even for the well healed...

Just as intelligence and complexity are different, so are wisdom and kindness. It is wise to be kind, but not to give so much kindness to those that cause hurt and pain as to let them create new victims with trauma. Maybe my intellect is a soul purpose in my being here, but I couldn't help but wander.