Preface

Number Eight

I always had my doubts about Number Eight

I always had my doubts about Number Eight. The girl showed promise, there is no doubt, but Number Eight has, of late, shown reluctance in using her powers. She has shown less and less control and these visions have started to become more and more frequent. When a vision occurs, Number Eight's eyes will go completely white, as if the iris and pupil has been covered by a screen, on which she appears to see images. I have performed several optic tests while these visions occurred and the eye behaves as if it can sees things that aren't really in the room. When this occurs, there is no communicating with the child. I have experimented to see if any of the other senses are functional during this vision but there is never any audio or visual response. Even physical contact has no affect, no matter the severity.

As of late, the child's potential grows increasingly more alarming. As aforementioned, these instances are getting more frequent and more uncontrollable. Under careful instruction, Number Eight has managed to control her senses during a vision. She has been able to induce them at will and has managed to regain control of her senses to the point where she can still communicate and relay the events that she witnesses, having successfully predicted a number of minor occurrences, such as Number Five's reckless disappearance.

However, Number Eight's training seems to have been completely forgotten. An alarming incident occurred only three days ago. Number Eight experienced a vision, one that she did not induce herself. Number Eight seemed to lose all control and was unresponsive for a matter of hours, during which time her eyes went completely white and she did not speak or even move. It was clear when the vision had ended as Number Eight began screaming involuntarily and was unable to be stopped for a number of hours. I ran her vitals and performed standardised blood tests and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.

Note to self: The subject could benefit from a brain scan- perhaps the problem lies in her mental state rather than physical.

Upon further examination, I have concluded that nothing out of the ordinary did happen with the aforementioned vision. No matter how often I have brought it up, Number Eight refuses to explain what it is she saw. The subject frequently experiences more of these visions and I am lead to believe she sees the same images in each one as she has had the same reaction five days in a row. Number Eight often wakes in the middle of the night in uncontrollable fits of terror. Her screams are becoming a nuisance for the other subjects. After a few hours, Grace is able to calm her but this behaviour cannot be allowed to continue.

I have developed a containment unit in order to further study the cause of Number Eight's irrational behaviour and have explained to the other children that their sister is sick and must go away for a while. Number Eight's behaviour has become increasingly more unstable and it is imperative that this is corrected, by whatever means necessary.

-Sir Reginald Hargreeves