Chapter Eight- 6: Ben

Number Six: Ben Hargreeves

Cassandra woke up in a cold sweat

Cassandra woke up in a cold sweat. The vision was still fresh in her mind as she jumped out of bed. She could see those tentacles flailing as she tossed aside her covers. She could hear Ben's screams as she slammed her bedroom door shut behind her. Her dream had seemed so real. There had been blood everywhere. She had been covered in blood but as she woke she realised it was only sweat. A cold, terrified sweat...

Cassandra raced into the hall where her other siblings were rushing around, clearly getting ready for a mission. She wasn't too late yet.

"Ben!" She screamed as she ran into his bedroom. He was straightening his mask.

"Hey, Cass! What is it, I've got a mission to-"

"Don't go!" Cassandra pleaded. She shook her head.

"What?" Ben asked, confused, as he headed for the door.

"Don't go, Ben! Please, don't go!" She pleaded, tears streaming down her face as she clutched at Ben's jacket.

"What is the meaning of this?" A harsh voice boomed from the hall and Cassandra jumped back, letting go of Ben as she saw her father looming in the doorway.

"He can't go, father!" Cassandra insisted, a sudden wave of determination had overcome her.

"Why ever not?"

"I saw it!" She exclaimed, "I saw and- He- Ben- He can't-" She stuttered in between sobs.

"Don't be ridiculous, Cassandra. Go and wait in your room while your siblings go on their mission. It's like I keep telling you, your power is not much help in a fight." Hargreeves instructed. Mom appeared in the doorway behind him and held out a hand to Ben, ushering him past Cassandra and their father.

"Come along." She whispered to him and lead him away, up the stairs...and to his death.

*

Cassandra hadn't been sleeping well lately. Truth be told, she had never slept very well, not since she was a child. To keep herself busy during the day, to distract her from how sleepy she was, Cassandra walked aimlessly around the house. She was currently walking along the hallway, peering into everyone's childhood bedrooms and smiling bittersweetly at the memories long since passed. She stopped outside Five's room and furrowed her brows as she saw his head disappear out the window.

Cassandra entered the room and stopped at the window, watching him climbing down the fire escape.

"Damn it where's dad's stuff!?" She heard from the alley below. It was Klaus. She rolled her eyes and pushed up her sleeves before she swung both legs out the window and started to descend.

"I'd ask what you were up to Klaus but then it occurred to me, I don't care." Cassandra could hear Five's voice from below her. She stopped on one of the fire escapes and sat on the ladder like it was a stool. From where she was sat she could see Five below her in the street and Klaus...of course Klaus was in a dumpster.

"Hey! You know there are easier ways out of the house." Klaus retorted snidely. Cassandra could just tell there was a goofy grin on his face.

"This one involved the least amount of talking. Or so I thought." Five's was responded. She heard Klaus scrabble around in the rubbish.

"Hey, hey, hey, so... need anymore company today?" Klaus asked, leaning on the edge of the dumpster, "I could clear my schedule." He offered enthusiastically.

"Looks like you've got your hands full." Five excused, turning away from Klaus and heading off down the alley.

"Oh, I see how it is. You don't want old Klaus but you're happy for Cass here to tag along." Klaus, complained as Cassandra climbed down the last few ladders.

"Cass? What?" Five asked bewildered, looking back at Klaus who was pointing to Cassandra. She stood next to Klaus on the sidewalk and smiled at Five.

"No, Cass' not coming with me."

"Klaus, why are you in the dumpster?" Cassandra asked completely calmly, not confused at all which is the opposite of how Five looked.

"I'm looking for...this!" Klaus exclaimed, picking up half a bagel from inside the dumpster and taking a big bite out of it.

"Well, that's my cue to leave." Five excused in disgust and turned to walk away from them.

"Hey! Wait, I thought I could spend some time with my brother, not you." Klaus added, sending a glare over his shoulder, looking at the fire escape.

"I'm your sister." Cassandra corrected as she stared at Klaus. He looked at her then back at the fire escape. Cassandra followed Klaus' eyes and once again stared right at Ben.

"Don't laugh!" Klaus snapped at Ben as he looked down at them. Cassandra smiled and Ben straightened up from where he was slouching on the railing. Ben looked down at Cassandra and took a step to his left. Her eyes followed him. He took step to his left. Agin her eyes stayed fixed on him.

"She's got to be able to see me, right?" Ben asked Klaus, who shrugged, took another bite out of his bagel and spat the whole thing out.

"Sometimes I miss Ben." Cassandra mused, thinking allowed talking mainly to herself. Her eyes were still looking at Ben, or at least the space he occupied. Ben leaned towards her and waved his hands in front of her face but she didn't move at all.

"Sometimes it's like he never left. Like he's still here with us somehow. But then I remember that he's dead and gone and you all left me alone...I think I'll go back inside now."