Chapter Twenty Seven- 2: Diego

Number Two: Diego Hargreeves

Five lay in his bed back in his old bedroom like nothing had changed

Five lay in his bed back in his old bedroom like nothing had changed. Diego watched from the doorway as Mom patched him up and finished securing a bandage to his bullet wound. Cassandra lay dozed off in the chair by Five's bed, Dolores balanced on her lap. On her wrist, Cassandra had attached one of her bracelets. God knows why, Five was asleep so they didn't have to keep up the pretence.

"Anything?" Diego asked upon noticing Allison standing behind him, both of them looking concerned at Five. Allison shook her head somberly.

"No reply at Vanya's place." She sighed, "And, the receptionist at her music school said she was a no show for her lessons today."

Cassandra stirred in her sleep. She shifted herself over in the chair and opened and closed her mouth before settling back to sleep.

Diego nodded once, satisfied he had enough information and turned to leave. Allison followed him.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked, holding out an arm to Diego as if to stop him but neither of them touched. He turned around to face her.

"Yeah," He said far too quickly and softly for anyone who knew him to believe.

Cassandra stirred again. She sat up a little ways but still had her eyes shut.

"Hmmm...lampposts." She mumbled. Diego and Allison both frowned at her.

"I don't know, it's just so surreal seeing her again." Diego admitted after a moment of silence between the two of them. His eyes darted anywhere but at Allison, "I just want to tell her that I'm s..."

Allison stared at Diego in pure disbelief.

"Anyway, we don't have enough time. We got to go." Diego turned to go down the stairs but Allison caught him by the crook of his elbow.

"I don't know, Diego." She said honestly, "I mean, Five is lying there unconscious. We need him." She stressed and Diego knew she was right. He was the only one who knew about the end of the world. Well, him and Cass. But Five was unconscious and Cass was fast asleep with half a mannequin on her lap. Neither seemed to be in the right frame of mind to be of any use.

Cass shifted again, knocking Dolores to the floor. It was a good thing Five was unconscious.

"First lampposts now trees." She murmured and settled back into a contented sleep. She rested her cheek on the top of the chair. If she had her eyes open she would have been looking straight at them.

"We can do this ourselves." Diego stressed although Allison didn't believe him. Deep down, she didn't think he believed it either.

"We already did, remember how that turned out?" Allison reminded him. "We all ended up dead."

Diego sighed.

"According to Five-"

"No, according to Cass." Allison protested, "She's the one we should be trusting right about now. She's seen what happens. I trust her."

"You trust her?" Diego asked, sceptically. Allison and Cassandra had never been close, not as kids, not as adults.

"Yes. I do." Allison said bluntly, "And I'm done running away from all of this."

Diego sighed. He knew she was right.

"I know." He admitted and Allison stared at him trying not to smile or tease him, "Cass was right. We never should have left her here."

"We never should have done a lot of things," Allison said gravely, "But we're here now. So..."

Diego looked at her and Allison pulled a face like she was about to betray every fibre in her body.

"Where do we start?"

She asked Diego for advice.

"There was no other address listed on that file but," He said trying not to sound triumphant although he was secretly hoping he would, "There was an address for a relation. His grandmother. She lives not far from here, some cabin in the woods. About an hour or so's drive."

"You think he took her there?" Allison asked.

"I don't know. But it's as good a guess as any."

Just as they reached the top of the stairs, Cassandra started awake suddenly. She took in a few deep breathes and panted like she'd awoken from a nightmare.

"What was I saying?" She asked urgently. Diego and Allison stared at each other blankly. "What was I saying?" She stressed but neither of them had paid enough attention. Cassandra sighed and ran her hands through her hair. She screwed up her eyes like she was trying not to cry.

"Hey," Allison whispered softly and she felt a hand on her shoulder. "You were probably just having a nightmare. It's fine now." Allison nodded and gently rubbed circles on Cassandra's back. It didn't soothe her. Cass knew by now that her nightmares were more than just bad dreams.

"We need to go." Diego said ominously, leaning against the door frame. Allison nodded.

"You coming with us?" She asked softly, giving Cass the option to stay and get better. Cass nodded quickly.

"Of course."

They walked down the stairs together, each other them not saying a word to the other. Cassandra had started to think things were getting better between her family members but with everything that had happened, she was starting to worry that it would only drive them apart again.

Cassandra tripped on the last step as an image flashed before her eyes. It was gone as soon as it came but she remembered it. Allison held out a hand to her but Cassandra gently swatted it away. She was fine. It wasn't her Allison needed to look out for. Cassandra reached out and caught Diego by the hand as he reached to open the door. She pulled him back with more force than either of them were expecting and Diego stumbled. Cassandra held him in a tight hug. Diego didn't know what to do and for a moment was perfectly still with his arms by his sides. It was only Allison gave him a look that he wrapped his arms around Cass too.

"What was that?" Diego asked when Cass, sniffling, had let him go.

"It's called a hug," She explained patronisingly, in an attempt to hide her raw emotion. That didn't tend to sit too well with her family, "It's what siblings do."