🌹e i g h t🌹

---

couple things. first off, i'd like to thank yall for 1k reads um hello there. two, shoutout to the misfits podcast for giving me this idea :^), and three, i released a new book that's a crush x reader thing. so you guys and ur crushes (which i know u have bc why else would you even be here) can have a little fantasy :) kk that's all enjoy

---

     after unintentionally spending a little over three to four hours at the arcade, upon leaving the building we noticed that it was starting to get dark. it was odd how about twenty four hours ago i was in the exact same city, with no one but myself to take care of. and now i was surrounded with adults who acted like children every day of the week.

     and i loved it.

     granted i knew that eventually my time here would be over. or would it? there was nothing really keeping me where i lived in the first place. so why not move along in life and start somewhere new. like, say, oh i don't know, in melbourne. it was a refreshing idea. one that was definitely going to be considered.

     i definitely wanted to get to know the boys better. sure i had watched them in swagger's videos, but that was different. this was real. and it was worth it. i smiled to myself and my train of thought was broken by eric as we left.

     "since it's getting late, it's time for our final activity of the day." he simply put, each of us eager to know what it was. "we're gonna be going to the theater and watching a new horror movie that came out not too long ago!" he beamed, maybe a little too much.

     my eye caught cameron who was frowning slightly, "a horror movie?"

     "why, is something wrong?" eric asked, cameron bit his lip.

     "no, nothing. just, a bit out of the ordinary is all." he murmured, i called his bluff immediately and knew that something was off. 

     the group set off as we all walked to the cinema that was just a few blocks away. cameron fell behind everyone else and i wanted to know his reasoning for not wanting to go.

     i held back and eventually stopped where cameron was and walked at a slightly similar pace, which was a little harder than i thought seeing as him being a bit taller than everyone else he walked a little further each step.

     "hey, are you okay?" i asked quietly. he seemed startled when i asked him the question and i apologized.

     he cleared his throat a bit, "i'm fine. why do you ask?" 

     i shrugged a bit, "no reason. you just seemed a bit uncomfortable at the whole 'horror movie' idea."

     he frowned again, "yeah. it's nothing to worry about." he looked away. i wasn't sure how to approach the topic without making him uncomfortable.

     "are you sure? i mean it's not like-" it took a moment before the realization settled in, "wait, you're afraid of them aren't you?"

     i noticed his cheeks turn a bit red in embarrassment, the sun setting in the horizon creating the perfect golden hour environment made him seem soft, and vulnerable. it was cute.

     "me? afraid? i don't know what you're talking about." he chuckled a bit nervously, attempting to play it off. he turned away from me now completely.

     "oh my god you fucking are." i said, "but that's okay! i mean, you should've seen eric when we invited a few of the other students in our dorm for a movie night during halloween. i don't think i've ever heard him scream louder or more like a little girl in my life." i giggled.

     cameron chuckled a bit, he seemed less tense now. that was good. progress. "you should hear him play horror games. especially vr. god it's a masterpiece."

     the both of us shared a laugh for a moment before it calmed down, the air between us more relaxed and leisurely. 

     "if it makes you feel better, i can sit next to you and...i don't know, support, i guess you could say if you need it. a bit of comfort, y'know?" i replied a bit hesitantly.

     cameron smiled softly, "i'd like that, actually."

     a few minutes later we arrived at the cinema and eric got us all tickets for the movie we wanted to see. as time went on i had to regularly reassure cameron that everything would be alright and he'd respond with a quiet nod. 

     slowly we all piled into the theater and found our seats around the middle area that had a good view that wasn't too close or too far from the screen. eric was about to sit next to cameron but he bit his lip before telling him something.

     "um, actually i was hoping i could sit next to (y/n)?" he muttered quietly to swagger. he looked at me and i nodded in approval.

     "alright, i guess. i'll sit next to jay and toby then." he responded before shuffling between all of us and finding a different seat. 

     i sat down next to cameron and smiled softly, "you okay?" i asked one more time to be sure.

     "i think i'm good. i feel better with you here for support." he smiled.

     "that's good. just tap on my shoulder if you need anything, okay?" i said, he smiled again.

     "okay."

     there was a silence between everyone as the previews started and a few more people shuffled into the theater. soon the lights fully went out and the movie started to play, hearing every little noise with the speakers surrounding us. 

     everything was fine with cameron for the first half of the movie, the both of us exclaiming quiet remarks about how fucking stupid the main characters were. he didn't seem that pressed about it, and that was good. eventually things started to pick up as more and more people started to die. after a sudden jumpscare i felt cameron flinch a bit and he unconsciously placed his hand onto my own. 

     of course i didn't mind, but i left it as it was and focused my attention on the movie. another scene flashed before us and i felt cameron flinch again. i frowned a bit and held his hand gently. he appeared to be a bit surprised by the action, but nonetheless it appeared to calm him down a bit. 

     our hand remained intertwined for the remainder of the movie and he didn't seem as pressed or agitated as before. finally the movie ended and the credits began playing on the screen as the lights slowly came back on. i looked at cameron, who was a bit anxious but not as much as he was beforehand.

     "that wasn't so bad, was it?" i mused, he smiled softly.

     "i guess. a bit paranoid now, but i think i'm good." he replied quietly.

     "that's good." i said, smiling a bit. the rest of us soon left the theater and piled into two separate ubers. it wasn't until we got outside that the boys realized that cameron and i were still holding hands. eric shot me a curious look but i looked down and discreetly removed my hand from his, him reacting the same way as well.

     the drive home was quiet, there was soft chatter regarding the day, youtube, and the movie itself. but i was left alone to my thoughts. swagger sat on the other side of the uber but he wouldn't stop eyeing me from time to time. i shrugged it off and the rest of the drive home was left in peace until my phone pinged with a text message from swagger.