🌹f i f t e e n🌹

the entire situation at the restaurant definitely brought cameron and i closer together. of course, i was still shy to really make any moves, but he pretty much got the idea. still, the idea of a relationship was a little...scary, to say the least. i like him, yes, but i'm scared of giving too much and not getting anything in return. i'm scared i'll get hurt. again.

      he doesn't seem like he would do that, though. and that gives me an ounce of hope, it's what's making me just a little more willing to go along with it. but as our trip to fiji was slowly coming to an end, i was faced with a new dilemma.

      i was going home soon. back to america. and i didn't want to go back. not when i was happy here, where i actually found something worth living for. back there i was just, well...sad.

     it's pretty odd to even call it 'home', when home feels like here, with the people that i've only just met about a month ago but felt like i've known for years. moving to australia was something that's been lingering in my head for the past couple of weeks. and now it seemed like that i was almost definitely something that i was going to do.

      it seems stupid, i know, to just get up and leave a place you've known for years all for what, friends? but that's what makes it great. taking a chance on life, and potentially love. who gives a flying fuck if it all falls apart. i've been hurt before. get over it and move on. live your life like you were supposed to. and that's exactly what i was going to do.

      tonight was our last night in fiji, and i decided to head out to the beach that night for a late night walk. not for any reason, just to get some things off my mind.

       i walked off the small dock and onto the sand, taking off my shoes and carrying then with me, the feeling of the grains of sand immediately hitting me. the sand was still warm from the sun earlier in the afternoon. overall the weather was nice. a little humid, but not too warm or too cool. it was just right when mixed with the ocean breeze.

       i stood there for a moment, taking in the scenery for the last time. the past week had been one of the best i've had in a while. i inhaled and exhaled, the mix of the ocean breeze with other scents in the area making the perfectly relaxing aroma. the sound of the waves crashing up against the shore adding to the effect.

        before i began my stroll, i was startled by a light tap on my shoulder. i immediately turned my head to face the person who did it. it was cameron.

       "odd seeing you here, (y/n)." he smiled.

       i smiled softly in return, "is it though? i love late night walks on the beach. i don't get to do it enough back where i live."

       "i understand that." he replies quietly.

       "what about you? what brings you here on this fine hour of..." i checked my phone for the time briefly, "11:27 p.m.?"

         "i couldn't sleep and wanted to get some things off my mind." he says.

         i gave a simple nod in response. "ah, me too. in that case, care to join me?"

         his face lit up a bit as i said that, as if he had wanted me to ask him that. he smiled brightly, "i'd love to."

         the both of us walked down the beach for a while in a comfortable silence. it was stuff like that this made it enjoyable to be around a person. where things can be quiet but you still enjoy each other's presence. there were a few gentle brushes against each other's hands and soft chuckles occasionally, but overall, the walk was very pleasing.

        after about thirty minutes we decided to sit down and rest on the sand. the silence continued until cameron cleared his throat, getting my attention.

       "so," he began, "i know this whole thing is still in the process, but. what are we?"

        the question took me somewhat off guard. i didn't know how to answer.

         "well," i hesitated, "i like you, and you like me, so...i guess that kind of makes a thing?"

          he nodded gently, "yeah, but...like, are we ever going to be official? are we official? i just don't want to rush you into anything."

          my heart softened at his remark, the fact that he was willing to not force me into something i wasn't comfortable was good to hear. not many people have done that before.

           i smiled, "you know what? i'm done being a little bitch about relationships."

           cameron smiled, "really?"

           i giggled softly, "yes. i'm tired of being afraid of it. i say fuck it. whatever happens, happens. even if i get hurt."

            he held my hand gently, "i would never hurt you, ever."

            i felt my face burn a little, my skin turning a rosy red. cameron brought my hand up to his face and kissed it gently.

            "just, one other thing." he says.

            i look at him, "yeah?"

           "would this relationship work if you go back to america? i'm not saying we couldn't work in a long distance relationship, i just wanna know because eric told me about your mental health and i just wanna make sure that you're okay and-"

          "i'm moving to melbourne." i blurted out suddenly, cutting him off.

           he looked at me in disbelief, "wait, what?"

           "i'm moving to melbourne." i repeated, smiling.

            he couldn't seem to find the words to express his excitement. "but, why? not that i'm complaining, i love that you're moving there but like....why?"

             i chuckled, "it's just that back in melbourne it feels more like home. sure i grew up in america but... i just feel like i belong here with you guys. they say you can't choose your family, but you can make a new one. and i think i've found mine."

          cameron smiled, "that's wonderful, love. i can't wait."

          "of course i still have to look for a place and go back to america for a bit to get all my shit together because at the moment it's just...a little bit chaotic, pretty much everywhere." i laughed.

          "yeah, i get that." he said, but he was still smiling like the adorable fucking idiot he is, "so...are we official now?"

            i smiled brightly, "yes, cam, we're official now.

           "great, cause i made a bet with mason that i couldn't get you to be my girlfriend by tonight and there's like $100 at stake here." he laughed.

           "well, you just earned yourself a hundred bucks." i giggled, placing a kiss on his cheek.

            "honestly, though, i'm happier that you agreed to be my girlfriend than that." he smiled.

            "that was cheesy as fuck but i appreciated a lot." i teased.

            "come on, let's go back, it's getting late and we have an early flight tomorrow." he says, offering his hand.

             i gladly accept and the both of us walked back to the resort hand in hand, the boys all telling us to 'stop being cute and shit' and mason running away from cameron to avoid paying up for his bet.

             in other words everything was perfectly normal. and this was definitely home.