The "King" Of Slytherin

*Bella's Point Of View*

*time skip*

It's been a few years since I started Hogwarts and met my current best friend, Ron Weasley. We are now both in Year Four at Hogwarts, both fifteen years old, and plan to continue through Year Seven and then graduate and go out into the world. Alongside Ron, my other best mates include Harry and Hermione. I'm also close with Ginny, who is Ron's younger sister. 

The Yule Ball is fast approaching, but I have no interest in thinking about that. Who would I even go with? For now, all I really care about is getting through the day.

"The Yule Ball is coming up," my sorta-kinda-friend, Draco Malfoy, says to me in Potions class.

"I'm aware," I say.

"Are you excited?" Draco asks, scooting closer to me.

"Not really," I reply, scooting my chair further away.

"Who are you going with?" Draco asks.

"None of your business," I snap.

"Hmm," Draco says with a chuckle. "Why so feisty, love? Could it be that you, the beautiful Bella, do not have a date?"

"Maybe," I mumble, looking away.

"Ah," Draco says, leaning back with a smug smile. "Now I know for certain."

"Would you just quit?" I huff. 

"I'd rather not," Draco says, smirking. "So... why don't you come to the Yule Ball with me, Bella?"

"W-what?" I stammer, sure I must have heard him incorrectly.

"Come to Yule Ball with me," Draco says, his silver eyes sparkling as he lifts my hand and presses a kiss to my palm. 

"Me? Are you sure?" I ask, still in shock.

"Yes. You. Miss Bella Copeland," Draco confirms, never breaking eye contact with me as he nods his head. His voice is soft and he seems genuine. "Will you come with me?"

"Um... okay," I say slowly. "I'll go to Yule Ball with you." As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I regret it. It's not that I don't like Draco. He's always been nice to me, probably because he fancies me, and he's my kinda-sorta-friend. But I just don't feel mutual feelings. I don't know why. I should be happy the "king" of Slytherin asked me out, but I just can't force myself to feel that way. Plus, I doubt he'd be asking me if he knew I was a Mudblood. I've always lied to him and said I was Pureblood, because I've learned how hateful some people can be. Would Draco be acting this way if he knew the truth? I do my best to push those thoughts aside. After all, going with someone is better than going alone. I gulp down my regret and say, "It would be an honour to go with you." 

"I'm pleased to hear that," Draco says, smiling. He adjusts his emerald-green robes and gazes at me, as if he can convince me further just by staring at me. And it's not working. But I guess I can pity him and play along.

"You're so cute," I say, only half-lying because he actually is attractive, and I lean over and peck his cheek softly. When I pull away, he's blushing but smirking. 

"Bella Malfoy," Draco says quietly to no one in particular. He grins at me and touches his hand to the side of my face. "I like the sound of that, don't you?"

Class is dismissed. I rise from my seat, trying to walk past Draco as quickly as possible, but he grabs my hand and laces our fingers together. Some of the students around us whistle. We walk out of class together. I notice that my hands are sweating horribly, but Draco doesn't let go. He puts his hands on either side of my face and presses his lips to mine. 

I should feel so lucky that the "king" of Slytherin likes me, but for some reason, I don't. What will Ron and Harry and Hermione think? I can't imagine they'll be happy about it. But what else am I to do? This could be my only chance at getting a date to the Ball. Draco is fit, but I just don't feel attracted to him as anything more than friends... oh, maybe I should give him a chance. Just to see how things go.

I guess I'll just have to make do with Draco.