Overprotective

*Bella's Point Of View*

I watch Ron storm away. I have never seen him so angry in my life. He looked like he wanted to throw Draco out the window. Maybe he actually would have done it, if I hadn't been there.

"That Weasley is a nutter. He's crazy," Draco huffs as soon as Ron's gone.

"That Weasley happens to be my best friend," I snap at Draco. "Why are you so mean to him?"

"He's a right foul git, that's why. He clearly wants to take you away from me," Draco says with a sneer of disgust.

"That's rubbish. Ron's my best friend. He doesn't fancy me," I say with a sigh. "Can't you just let him be?"

"I won't let anyone take you from me," Draco says firmly, putting his hands on my shoulders and looking me in the eyes. "You're mine." His silver eyes flash with protectiveness and anger. "Only mine. Do you understand?"

"Draco, stop," I say, trying to move away from him. I'm starting to regret agreeing to go to the Ball with him even more now than before. He is clearly crazy. I try to move away, but he won't let me.

"If I catch him near you one more time, he will feel my wrath, and you won't be able to stop me," Draco says. "He'll regret even looking your way." His fierce frown transforms into a smile as he leans in and kisses me. "You know I love you, right?"

We literally just got together today, I think as I look at Draco. And I certainly don't love you.

"Did you hear what I said? I said I love you," Draco says, staring at me with his intense gaze. He cocks an eyebrow and taps his foot, as if waiting for me to say it back.

"I... I love you too," I say, biting my lip at the lie. 

"I love you more," Draco says, smiling as he brushes a strand of my wavy hair out of my eyes. "I'll see you in a bit." He turns and walks down the corridor to his next class. I watch him leave. As soon as he's gone, I rush down the hall in the direction Ron left. I run for what feels like ages, until I finally catch up to where he is about to enter a class. I practically throw myself at him.

"Whoa, Bella," Ron gasps as I launch myself at him and throw my arms around him in a hug. He stops and hugs me back, wrapping his arms around my waist. I lean my head against his chest. We hold each other for a while, and I feel tears sliding down my cheeks. Finally, I pull away. Ron stares down at me, looking confused.

"I'm sorry about Draco," I whisper. "I can't believe he said such horrid things about you. I chewed him out about it after you left. I wanted to come and make sure you're not cross with me. I don't want Draco to get between our friendship."

"Bella, I could never be angry at you," Ron says. "And I... I didn't know you and Draco were a thing."

"It happened pretty quickly. He asked me to the Ball, and I said yes. I mean, who else would I have gone with? No one else asked me. I suppose I have to take what I can get. Besides, Draco has always been nice to me," I say with a chuckle.

"I'm sure loads of people would have asked you," Ron says quickly. "Perhaps they wanted to but were too shy to ask."

"Who?" I scoff. "Name at least one person."

"Um... Harry would've?" Ron says, his voice cracking. He blushes. 

"Yeah, right," I say, rolling my eyes. "You know bloody well that Harry is going to the Ball with Hermione." 

"Well, I wanted to ask you," Ron says, his voice rising some. "But Draco beat me to it!"

"Really?" I say. "You mean as friends?"

"Um," Ron says, looking away quickly. He nervously rubs the back of his neck with his hand.

"You two need to hurry along to class!" a voice suddenly pipes up. Neville comes over. "We're going to be late!" He turns and dashes down the corridor towards a classroom.

"I guess we'd better go. Draco would go insane if he knew I'm here with you," I say. "I'll see you later, Ron." 

And then I get the heck out of there.