What if we Drown (2)

"Abel's asking after you, Ash

"Abel's asking after you, Ash." Kassandra Sandoval chuckled, pinching Ashlyn in the ribs as she reached around her to grab the milk jug.

With a playful smile, Ashlyn bumped her friend back, accidentally knocking the bottle of soy milk from her hand. Kassandra squealed and jumped back, crashing into Ashlyn, laughing at the mess they had made. No one in the café was at all surprised by this behavior as they continued with their conversations. It was one of the many things people loved about Salt on the Dock. While the food and the coffee were of the highest quality, it was the joy and love that the café and staff exuded that made the cafe so vibrant.

Before Ashlyn could make a move for the mop, Kassandra was shooing her away.

Kass, let me, she signed, collecting the sodden carton from the floor, her canvas shoes leaving dirty footprints where she walked.

"I've got this, go. Abel's coffee is getting cold." Kassandra winked as she scooped two chocolate Danish's on to a plate and handed it to Ashlyn. Collecting the coffee in her other hand, Ashlyn rolled her eyes and smiled at her best friend.

It was a quiet Thursday morning at Salt. With most people beginning their day at work or school, it was the perfect time to spend with Abel. Since the day his wife had passed on, he'd been a lonely soul, his heart beating to the same melody as hers.

Reaching his table, she placed the Espresso and chocolate danish's in front of Abel as he looked up from the morning paper and smiled fondly. Putting the paper to the side, he stood to embrace her and kiss her cheek in greeting.

Good morning, she signed with a smile as the two of them sat.

"How are you, dear, truly?" he asked, knowing that this was always a difficult time of year for her and her family. Of course, the rest of the family had moved away, further inland, while she remained. They were together while she was here. But she was never alone; her Father's spirit lived on in everyone in Glassmont. Not a day went by that someone wasn't looking out for her.