What if we Drown (50)

His shoulders rose then fell with an uneven breath

With his back to her, it was hard for Ashlyn to gauge what might have been on his mind, but from the set of his posture alone, she would have guessed that something troubled him. Through the front window, she watched Derek lean over and place something on the ground before righting himself. His shoulders still slumped as though he still carried the same weight.

Stepping to the side so she could get a clearer look, Ashlyn raised herself on the tips of her toes. As if he could feel her eyes on him, Derek turned. Frozen as she stood, one foot poised on its toes, the other resting flat, Ashlyn tried to read the emotion in his eyes. From a distance, he looked troubled, the invisible weight he carried having made his mark in the set of his eyes, and the downturn of those lips meant for smiling.

What bothers you? Ashlyn wondered, her head tilting while she leaned forward against the counter. She shouldn't have been spying, especially considering she'd been the one to ask for space. But she couldn't ignore a troubled soul, least of all his. The corner of her lip raised in a sad smile, wishing he could see.

With a subtle nod of his head, Derek gestured for her to come out and see him. A tinge of fear plagued his expression before he looked back out towards the street, hoping she would accept his invitation.

Her teeth captured her bottom lip, and the metallic tang of blood blossomed on the inside of her lip. Swallowing, Ashlyn glanced away from the window, resuming her work of wiping down the register and the spots of coffee spilled around it.

"Alright, that's enough. This has got to stop." Something slammed on the counter beside her, and Ashlyn jumped, her heart almost shooting out of her chest. Turning her narrowed gaze on Kass, Ashlyn slipped the cloth into the bin below.

What are you talking about? Ashlyn asked with feigned ignorance.

"Don't give me that look, Ash. You know just as well as I do that you want to go out there," Kass challenged, her arched brow daring Ashlyn to deny it. Hands falling to her side, Ashlyn looked to the window again, where Derek waited. A pout was on her lips, her brow pinched.

"Derek made some mistakes, and I get it. He made some stupid choices, and it hurt. But you are making a stupid choice right now, shutting him out. Ulterior motives originally or not, he loves you. And you're tossing all of that away because you're wounded. It's been six weeks now, and it's got to stop."

Torn between flinching at the sting of her words or sighing in defeat, Ashlyn continued to watch him. From where she stood, she could see the tightness of his shoulders, the way they slightly raised as his head hunched forward. Something weighed on his mind.

Ashlyn's fingers smoothed over her thigh, imagining that they were moving over his shoulders, massaging the tension away.

A warm hand came down on Ashlyn's shoulder, another hand turning her head to meet softened brown eyes.