What if we Drown (36)

Misunderstandings were inevitable, a common occurrence, really

But when Derek turned to look at Ashlyn, there was no misunderstanding in what he had said. His eyes were wide with panic that he'd spoken too soon and were alight with a spark of hope that she now knew the truth. Even so, despite the contrast of emotions in his eyes, Ashlyn knew that he believed wholly in what he'd said.

He loved her.

Her heart floundered before it was taking off to soar at great heights. Breathless and dizzy from the sudden spike in her heart rate, Ashlyn watched his face, chasing each and every emotion as it passed. Her eyes took it all in, desperate for something, an emotion, to cling to. She was confident that her expression must have mirrored his, processing the what, the why, and the how.

The set of Derek's eyes softened as he completed the turn, so he sat facing her completely, his knees touching her thigh.

Ashlyn intertwined her fingers tightly against Sage's back, while mentally trying to calm her heart and her mind. For weeks, she'd been wondering what all of this meant, but now that he'd spoken his truth into existence, she wasn't so sure she'd been ready for the answer.

Hesitantly, Derek reached over and took one of her hands in his. She'd have been lying if she said that her heart didn't flounder again.

His hand was dry against hers, the scar on his palm gliding across her sweaty palm. There was no denying how she felt in response to his declaration; her body could not lie. But she didn't care. None of that mattered when he spoke as he had. When he brought this love between them, her addled mind was too caught up in the processing of the emotional to be bothered by the physical.

"Ashlyn." Her name was a prayer upon his lips, a balm to the pining of her soul.

Derek turned her hand over in his and threaded his fingers between hers.

"This isn't how I'd planned for this to come out." His chuckle was awkward as he turned to look at Lorraine over his shoulder.

For the first time since he'd said those words, Ashlyn remembered that they weren't alone.

Her heart twisted as he turned to look at her once again, thick layers of emotion masking his features.

"I wanted the moment to be something special, just the two of us. Away from prying eyes and friends with good intentions. Somewhere that we could talk, without any pressure to respond, but I guess now is as good a time as any."

He took a deep breath and squeezed her hand, lending or borrowing the strength for what came next, she wasn't sure.

"I meant what I said. I don't know how it happened, or where we go from here, but I love you, Ashlyn."

Derek's eyes shone with earnest intensity, the gentle flames of the fire dancing upon the embers of his love for her. Through their joined hands, she felt the embers spark and ignite, a mild burn moving up her arms and to the lump lodged in her throat.