What if we Drown (18)

"You two, stop flirting

"You two, stop flirting. We've got work to do." Kass clapped her hands twice, interrupting Derek and Zion's conversation about the basketball game the night before, and who they believed was the real MVP. Ashlyn giggled under her breath.

Kass was in director mode, commanding everyone like marionette puppets, directing them this way and that. For the first hour, the spectacle had gone ahead as planned, but now it seemed some lines had crossed over, creating the unscripted chaos the boys now partook in.

"Marcus!" She growled, slapping his forearm. "Put down the damn balloon. El tonto!"  Marcus let go of the gold balloon he'd been sucking on, and it flitted around the room, the helium from inside blowing it this way and that. Ashlyn ducked as it swept over her head. The men in the room erupted in a chorus of laughter, one more high pitched than the others.

Kass, however, remained unimpressed as she walked over to the corner where Ashlyn stood, massaging her temples.

"It's so hard to find good help." Kass sighed, sinking into the wall. They'd been at it for two hours now, Abel's living room slowly transforming into a globophobic's worst nightmare. Silver and gold balloons littered the ceiling; a handmade Welcome Home banner strung above the patio doors.

Naturally, the helium had created more excitement for some more than others, as proven in the cheers and mischievous encouragements circulating amongst the men.

Ashlyn placed the paintbrush down, having applied the finishing touches to the last piece of the sign she'd been working on, and held her hand out to Kass. Kass looked to the offered hand, then back towards Marcus, Zion, and Derek.

"I just want this to be perfect." She sighed, taking Ashlyn's hand. Ashlyn pulled her to her feet and turned Kass so that she could see the room in all its glory.

It will be. Ashlyn's smile was reassuring. He couldn't be more honored by what you have orchestrated here. It's the perfect welcome home. Ashlyn squeezed Kass' shoulders. How many people could have inspired a gathering quite like this, fuelled by the adoration felt for the recipient? Abel was one of a kind.

By the time her mother returned from the store, Abel's cupboards would be stocked. The house had been cleaned from top to bottom, and they'd already decided between them who would cook for him for the first few days to make sure he was eating right. And none of that could have happened without Kass' commanding spirit.

The clock in the foyer chimed. They were out of time. Abel's discharge paperwork would have been completed, and he would be waiting to be picked up, just as Ashlyn had arranged with him the night before.

"Ash, why don't you go to the hospital to get Abel while we finish up here." Kass' smile was forced, no doubt fretting about how little time she had left to pull it all together. Ashlyn was about to answer when a loud chorus drew their attention.