What if we Drown (7)

The cerulean blue Ashlyn had been cautiously applying to the walls of the guest room appeared darker than she'd thought

The cerulean blue Ashlyn had been cautiously applying to the walls of the guest room appeared darker than she'd thought. While it had initially seemed to boast a more turquoise hint in the paint store, now that she had applied it to the wall it appeared bolder. Stepping back to admire the newly completed wall, she took a bite of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich and smiled.

As bold as it may be, she could already feel the calmness flow gently through her. The floorers were scheduled to come the following weekend to lay the new laminate flooring throughout the house. That didn't give her nearly enough time to get all the painting completed, but she'd at least made a dent in it over the past two days. She couldn't wait for Zion to visit again and see everything she'd already accomplished. 

Her dreams for this house were slowly coming to life.

Coley lay curled up on the top rung of the ladder, soundlessly sleeping as Ashlyn moved about the room cleaning up the paint brushes and rollers. The night before Coley had got into some of the paint and left a trail of blue pawprints throughout the house, and even across some of the furniture. Coley was undoubtedly making her contribution known for this renovation.

With all the paint tins securely sealed Ashlyn slid down the opposite wall and drew her knees into his chest. Resting her chin on top of her knees, she admired the way the sun shone through the window, and reflected off the cerulean walls, glistening like the sun upon the waves. 

Her heart ached. 

It ached for the memories of summer days spent at the beach splashing around with her Mother and Father. Of crisp mornings at the lookout watching as her Fathers boat sailed out to sea, and counting the hours until he returned, stinking of salt and fish. But her heart was also pained by the memories of standing on the pier amidst a storm reaching but never grasping what she desired most. Of standing at the lookout and seeing the raging seas below, reminding her that nothing was ever as it seemed. Her thoughts were at conflict with one another where the sea was concerned, and she feared it would always be so.

With a deep breath, she chose to push the darker memories away, and instead, she clung to the joy and the hope that this color promised. That was why she had chosen it.

Dad, I hope you like what I have done for you, she thought. Smiling fondly, she watched the specks of dust float gracefully in the sunlight, each piece moving to their silent symphony. She stifled a yawn, her breath growing deeper and her lids heavier as the warmth of the sun lured her into a peaceful rest.

 She stifled a yawn, her breath growing deeper and her lids heavier as the warmth of the sun lured her into a peaceful rest