What if we Drown (40)

Kissing Derek was like tasting the ocean for the first time; terrifying yet exhilarating, a little bit salty, but most of all, it was revitalizing

Gentle fingers grazed upon the surface of his stubble, his jaw tensing at her touch. Fine hairs itched in contrast with the smooth ridges of his lips that cautiously greeted hers.

It was a simple kiss, the taste of hazelnut, and his love upon his lips. But by that simple act, the tingling of every nerve ending in her lips and her fingertips inspired an awakening in Ashlyn, a dawning of the emotions she'd suppressed for so long.

The attraction, the hope, and the joy that she felt towards Derek had culminated into that one moment. A bubbling spring that spilled over the banks that contained it, until everything that she touched knew of the feelings which possessed her. Each breath and each beat of her heart spoke of the emotions long unsung.

There was uncertainty and caution in the tension of Derek's shoulders when one of her hands dropped to rest upon them. He'd been taken by surprise with her kiss. For Ashlyn, however, it had been anything but. She was ready for this moment, and all it represented.

Warmth seeped through her fingertips, her fingers curling around his bare shoulder, the skin smooth to the touch despite the tight cords that flexed when he swallowed.

Their lips broke apart, and Ashlyn pressed her forehead to Derek's as she rode out the wave of emotion that passed through with her exhale. Her lashes fluttered, and she opened her eyes, staring down at the bridge of his nose. His lips were parted with an exhale of his own, and she could feel his lashes tangling with her own.

Hot breath fanned against her chin, and her head was dizzy with want and need. She wanted him. She needed his touch to remind her that this was real.

Biting the inside of her lip, Ashlyn gasped at the sharp pain, before a relieved smile claimed her lips. This was definitely real.

Breathing in the smells around her, scents of apple and hazelnut, salt, and morning dew, Ashlyn drew them deep within, committing them to the memory of this momentous day. A token of the moment when she'd granted her heart the thing it craved most. Derek.

In all the years she'd fought for security and stability, never had she thought the voice of her heart could ring so true. But when she thought of Derek and how he made her feel, her heart fluttered within her chest, a steady thrumming that drowned the voice of fear and reason, until all she could think of was him. Of what could be.

The focus of her thoughts knew more clarity in that brief moment than perhaps they'd known before. With her kiss, Ashlyn had chosen Derek. Despite all odds, she decided to fight for him. For them.

Slowly, Ashlyn pulled back, her cheeks burning beneath the morning breeze.

Derek stood motionless, his eyes burning with intensity as he stared down at her. Holding her breath, she watched each slow blink he made, his expression slowly animating once again.