Epilogue

"Where are you taking me?" Derek's laughter carried on the sea breeze while he ran, hand in hand with Ashlyn, down the boulevard

The smile in Ashlyn's cheeks was enchanting, her heart swelling beyond its confines until it illuminated every facet of her expression. A childlike joy danced upon her lips, her giggles falling back to meet him as she turned to glance his way.

'You'll see,' the glint in her eyes said. Squeezing his hand tighter, she continued to run, every fragment of fear and every splinter of doubt falling behind her, the remains of the walls she'd nursed for years crumbling like dust beneath her canvas shoes.

Her steps continued to carry them through streets lit by twilight, the breath in her lungs escaping with a giggle when she stumbled on a crack in the pavement. Catching her waist, Derek pulled her back against his chest, his hands resting on her hips.

"Are you going to tell me why we're in such a rush?" His breath was hot, his lips teasing as they brushed the side of her cheek. Her next breath was a stutter, her legs weakening at the knees, just as they always did. He didn't fight fair.

Twisting out of his hold, Ashlyn turned to face Derek with a grin.

"Nope," she said, relishing in the sound as the 'p' popped on the surrounding air. After seven months of speech therapy, she'd finally recognized the sound of her own voice, and it was sweet music to her ears. "Come on."

Passing a brief glance over her shoulder to make sure he followed, Ashlyn continued running until her feet crossed the threshold, and she stepped out onto the boardwalk. Counting each pillar she passed, Ashlyn came to a stop between the fifth and sixth.

Turning, she glanced up at Derek, who watched her with curiosity, pride marking the espresso of his eyes upon his recognition of the place she'd brought him. He reached up with his free hand and brushed his finger down the side of her cheek, capturing one of the curls that had escaped her ponytail. Tucking it behind her ear, he ran his thumb along the pulse beating at her throat.

Ashlyn's lashes fluttered at his gentle touch, her heart sighing within her chest. A year had elapsed, but each day felt like the first, falling in love with him all over again.