What if we Drown (45)

"

"...maybe he's no Romeo, but he's my lovin' one-man show..."

Ashlyn pretended to sing along with the radio into the end of the paintbrush, stomping her foot and swinging her head to the side with the change in the beat. Feeling the rhythm course through her soles and up into her hips, she danced her way across the deck towards Coley, who sat in the dining room window. Pointing the makeshift microphone at her cat, she giggled when Coley let out a sleepy meow in place of the next line.

She planted a kiss on Coley's forehead and scratched behind her ears, before returning to the job at hand.

The brush glided over the weatherboards, the fresh coat of sunshine yellow she applied popping against the aged mustard beneath it. With the sun high in the sky, and the melody of scents that washed over her, compliments of the gerbera daisies and lobelia planted in her garden, it was the perfect day to work on the exterior. Besides, she could have used the fresh air after three days cooped up, anxiously waiting for his call.

Inspired by Abel's story, Ashlyn had continued to reach out to Derek and remind him of the man she saw in him while simultaneously giving him the time and space he needed to process the emotions which stirred beneath hope's gentle whispers.

The night before had been the first he'd spoken to her, his expression weighted by the departure of his sister and the twins. He hadn't said much - neither of them had - but he'd called. For a brief moment, he'd let her into his dark world, and the seed of hope within her had begun to sprout.

The song clicked over, a slow-building of keys at first. Tapping her foot in time with the music, the strokes of the brush matched its pace. As the rhythm continued to build upon itself, her hips responded, and her strokes relaxed, were more carefree, until the electric beat was moving through her like little shocks to her nerves. Limbs moved and shook under the musician's command, and laughter danced on the breeze, wrapping itself around her until she floated alongside it on wings of joy.

By the end of the song, her heart beat in time with the rapid succession upon the drums, and her chest rose and fell with exhaustion. Leaning back, she appraised her work. A little ray of sunshine nestled on the hill.

Satisfaction pinched her cheeks, and Coley rubbed her head against Ashlyn's thigh in approval.

Her tongue reached out to slide over the top corner of her lip. Her eyes narrowed, concentrated on a discolored spot over the window, just out of reach. Rocking on the back of her heels, she tightened her grip around the handle of the brush and prepared to jump when behind her, someone cleared their throat.

Kass must have finished work early, she thought, turning on her heel, her hips still moving to the beat of the current song. The brush fell from her hand, and her smile faltered when drops of sunshine splattered against her bare feet.

"I should have called ahead, sorry." Derek watched his feet as he spoke, his mumbles falling upon the dirt he stirred at the bottom of the steps.

He looked terrible. Worse off than he'd appeared on camera the day before.