What if we Drown (3)

It was a good day for Salt as waves of people washed up on the threshold, their bodies drifting on the pleasant scents that carried them in, and each one was met with a warm smile courtesy of Ashlyn

A loud and exaggerated groan came from behind Ashlyn as the phone was hung up none too politely.

"Sometimes Marcus really grinds my gears. Can you believe he wants to start charging double for produce?" Kass grumbled. Ashlyn rolled her eyes at her best friends' attitude as the customer next in line chuckled.

The queue quickly progressed as Ashlyn continued to take orders and make the drinks, while Kass worked on preparing their meals. Lunchtime had always been busy for them since Salts opening six years ago. The flavors that Kass captured in all the food she made, and the constant changing menu, were alluring and tasteful. Salt was undoubtedly the guilty pleasure of many.

"I saw what you did earlier. Giving that money to Abel was nice and all, but what about Venice? And Athens? You've been saving up to go there for the past year," Kass reprimanded Ashlyn as she handed a young family two turkey paninis and a serving of mushroom empanadas.

With a shrug, Ashlyn took the next person's order. His need outweighed her own. Besides, Greece and Italy could wait. It wasn't like she would be able to do much there as a tourist, not without a means for communicating. The money would be put to better use with Abel. He had been like a father to her for the past twenty years, and now he needed to be a Father again to his daughter.

"Just don't give up your dreams for everyone else, okay? You're 28, and sooner or later this ole' town is going to be too small for you," Kass commented as the next customer stepped up to the counter.

"A vanilla bean soy Latte, and a papaya salad roll." The middle-aged businesswoman spoke bluntly, her gaze never wavering from the phone in her hand. "Does the Papaya salad roll contain nuts? I'm allergic, so they'll need to be left off." She continued to type.

Ashlyn bit her lip as she tried to think up a way to gain the woman's attention so she could respond. Kass was busy slicing a piece of cake and talking to one of the regulars and hadn't heard the woman's question. The frivolous typing ceased as the woman's cold blue gaze lifted and narrowed on Ashlyn.

"Are you stupid girl? I asked you a question." The woman barked; her lips narrowed with disgust. The sounds of the café stopped as everyone's attention turned to the counter and narrowed in on the woman who spoke. Ashlyn's expression faltered as she tried to sign an explanation. The woman only scoffed.

"Of course, I got the dumb barista." Her voice rose as Kass' head snapped in her direction. "This is ridiculous. I want to speak to someone else. Where is your manager?"

Unease settled in Ashlyn's stomach as she stepped back from the cash register, signing an apology as she battled the embarrassment racing to her cheeks.