What if we Drown (11)

The doctor introduced himself to both Ashlyn and Derek, but she didn't hear a word he said

The doctor introduced himself to both Ashlyn and Derek, but she didn't hear a word he said. She was still caught up on his opening words. Abel was awake. He was okay.

"Due to a build-up of fat, cholesterol, and, other substances in his arteries, the blood flow to Mr. Weber's heart was blocked, which resulted in the heart attack earlier today." The doctor spoke in facts, an air of professionalism exuding from him. "We've done some blood works, and..." Ashlyn nodded, though really, she wasn't interested at all in the medical diagnosis the Doctor provided. Her thoughts were already traveling to the Cardiac Care Unit, where her friend lay.

"If you would like to follow me, I can show you to his room." The doctor gestured for her to step forward.

"Would you like me to wait for you here?" Derek inquired, his hand on Ashlyn's arm stopping her from going forward. Stalled for a moment, Ashlyn glanced between Derek's calloused hand on her arm and the smooth, well-manicured hand of the Doctor who gestured down the bright corridor.

Ashlyn's stomach clenched with unease at the thought of walking the corridors alone. She'd seen enough of them in her short time. Filled with nervous excitement, Ashlyn rocked on her heels, quickly assessing the pros and cons of going alone. The pro: she didn't have to pretend to be okay, and the con: she knew she really wasn't okay. Terrified by the thought of feeling alone and accepting that she wasn't okay, her decision was already made. With a sweaty palm, she reached back to take Derek's hand in hers, clinging to the familiarity of his touch. He squeezed her hand.

"Lead the way," Derek addressed the Doctor, stepping forward to stand with Ashlyn. Her heart hammered louder in her ears than their shoes on the linoleum, with each step that drew her closer to Abels room.

He's okay. He's going to be okay. Ashlyn continued to remind herself of this, the words becoming a mantra of sorts. Her grip on Derek's hand grew stronger and stronger, but he never said a word. Twice she caught him glance her way, his mouth opened to speak before he thought better of it and returned his gaze to the Doctor guiding them.

What isn't he saying? She thought, worry feeding on her frayed nerves.

They came to a stop outside of room number 34 in the CCU. The doctor opened the door and gestured for them to enter, but Ashlyn shrank back against Derek, her breath catching in her throat. She couldn't do this. She didn't want to see her friend in this place. He'd said that Abel was okay, but if that were the case, then he wouldn't have been here. She felt the walls moving in on her, the emotion she fought to contain building to a crescendo. She struggled to focus on the movement of the doctor's lips as he addressed them, let alone the words he spoke.

"A nurse will be by to check on him again soon," The Doctor spoke to Derek, his eyes passing over Ashlyn before he turned and left the two of them alone in the corridor.

Derek made a move to step into the room, but like a solid wall, Ashlyn refused to budge. The walls that so often held her up and gave her strength, that protected her from this very depth of fear and emotion she now bore, collapsed, and the tears burst forth like water from a dam. Derek's hands were around her shoulders, gently rubbing up and down the tops of her arms, his breath a gentle caress against her ear.