What if we Drown (53)

Ashlyn was almost out the front door before Kass could catch her

"What do you think you're doing? You can't go out there!" Kass cried over the wind that thrashed against the door.

He's here, Kass. He's been upstairs this entire time, and you didn't tell me. Hurt flashed behind Ashlyn's eyes, her arm twisting beneath Kass' grip. She'd known, and she'd omitted to tell her anything.

Regret pooled in Kass' gaze, but Ashlyn wasn't sure what she regretted more, telling her about Derek or keeping the secret from her in the first place.

I have to go and see him, Ashlyn pleaded before she reached around to grip the door handle. Kass' grip tightened again as she pulled Ashlyn away from the door.

"He's not here. He's out there," Kass sighed in defeat, gesturing in the general direction of the ocean, her posture shifting to block the exit.

Ashlyn's chest seized, her airways closing against the sharp inhale of air.

'He's out there' rang in her ears, the rising panic they caused not strong enough to blot out Kass' words.

Frantically she rushed towards the window, her gaze fixing on the waves that crashed below the wall. Picking at some of the tape, she tried to clear a path towards the lighthouse's beacon, desperately trying to spot the boat. The mist upon the sea was too thick, and Ashlyn couldn't see a thing.

Kass' next words drowned when another gust of wind slammed against the door, its harsh whistling seeping through the hinges.

Shaking her head, Ashlyn pressed her palms against the glass and followed the horizon, her mouth working desperately to draw enough air into her lungs. Drops of rain rolled beneath her fingertips, their descent no match for the torrent that had begun to streak her cheeks.

She's lying. He's not out there. She sobbed, her breath hitching with each broken sound that rose within. He can't be. Fear rested upon her chest, pressing against her mouth and nose as it smothered her. With effort, she could draw enough air to survive, but it was crippling all the same.

She tried to look at Kass, to reach out for help. But, the fog that settled around her, paired with the dizzying ordeal of her thoughts, was too much. Her hands fell limp at her sides, and her legs collapsed beneath her, Kass catching her waist in time before she could hit the floor.

'Why?' Ashlyn wanted to cry out, but all that met her lips was a strangled cry. Why did this have to happen? The ocean had already taken so much from her; why did she need Derek too?

Kass whispered soothing sounds over Ashlyn, her arms encircling her against her chest. Each brush of her hand upon her back felt like another stroke of betrayal, strikes she didn't have the energy to fight.