What if we Drown (48)

"She has her name in gold on the front door

"She has her name in gold on the front door. I want my name in gold on the front door." Turning to face Ashlyn, Kass pouted, her finger still pointed towards the glass front door's branding.

Maybe if you ask Marcus nicely, he can paint it in gold, Ashlyn answered, a slight tremor in her fingers. Joking aside, she couldn't shake the nerves that settled like a lead weight in her gut. She attempted a wink, but the movement never quite took, her face scrunching as she tucked her hands beneath her arms to hide the trembling.

"You think he'd do that for me?" Kass asked, her arm going about Ashlyn's shoulder and pulling her to her side. "I think he'd paint it black instead, just to be an ass."

A chuckle bubbled on Ashlyn's lips, and she turned her head to bury her face in Kass' shoulder.

"You're going to do great in there." Kass squeezed her shoulder, and Ashlyn raised her head. "So chin up-" she ducked Ashlyn beneath her chin, "-and show em' who's boss."

Pulling away, Ashlyn examined her friend with an arched brow.

You do realize this is therapy, and not a competition, right?

"There are winners in therapy too, Ash, and you're going to be one. Mark my words," Kass answered, her hands turning on the air as though writing it down, memorializing her prediction.

You're impossible.

"I'm the best." Flicking her hair over her shoulder, Kass rested her hand beneath her chin in a show of modesty. With a giggle and an eye roll, Ashlyn bumped her hip against Kass'. For a moment, she'd forgotten about the daunting task that laid ahead, and the nerves that possessed her fingers had subsided. It was just her and her best friend talking and laughing, as though nothing had changed.

Until the door in front of them opened, and a younger boy and his mother walked out. The illusion shattered, reminding Ashlyn why they were so far from home.

A simple smile was upon both of their lips as they passed Kass and Ashlyn. A sigh fanned across Ashlyn's chest, and she turned to her best friend with wide eyes, the panic set in once again.

"Just breathe," Kass whispered, taking a deep breath of her own. "You're doing the right thing, and this is going to be good for you. Great, even."

Before the words had finished leaving Kass' mouth, the force of Ashlyn's hug knocked the breath out of her. She couldn't have done this without her support.

When she'd called Kass not four days before to tell her that Dr. Martin had miraculously been able to book her in so soon, it had only taken seconds for her to begin celebrating this news and making plans for their mini road trip to Oaken Ridge. Ashlyn had found it curious that things had happened so quickly, having half expected it to be weeks before this stage could have begun, but perhaps it had been for the best. Less time to wait meant less time to talk herself out of her decision.