Chapter 4: Viva! España!

After walking a few blocks from the condominium, America and Philippines arrive in the fast food around 3:00 pm for a late lunch. It was getting uncomfortable especially the silence between the two countries, not a single murmur was heard.

America tries to initiate a topic when he notices that the air was getting humid, sticky and warm and the sky was getting gray and the sunlight is almost gone behind the dirty cottons.

Looks like it's gonna rain after a hot day.

"Hey, ah- how bout' we order a take out? It seems that rain is coming this way. We'll just eat inside the condo. Is that okay with you?" America uttered out, looking to the sky for emphasis and to avoid Philippine's eyes.

"Hmm... It's fine with me." Philippines responded.

They ordered as soon as they arrived at McDonald. America ordered two Big Macs and a large Coca-cola. Philippines ordered fries, mashed potato, and a medium sundae as America offered to pay. (Philipp's a big eater but he doesn't want to show that he's matakaw XD)

They began walking back to the condo at a slow pace as both countries consume their orders slowly.

"Hey Ame, you have fifty states, right?"

"Yeah, what about them? The bigger country answers. Well, his states are really a handful but they're independent, thankfully.

"Nothing, I just remembered my provinces back home." Philippines countered.

"I understand. You're a family guy." America stated truthfully.

"Well, they're still with me even if they're grown that's why I love them. They're my rays of sunshine." Philippines eyes were sparkling as he shows a small yet meaningful smile.

That strung America's heartstrings. You're torturing me with your cuteness.

"Tell me more, about them." America decided to open earning a full burst of eagerness on Philipp.

"Well, I have 81 provinces back home," 81 provinces?! "And they spoke differently since I have about 185 languages and dialects, but we still manage to understand each other." 185 dialects?!

"W-wow! How do you manage 81?! And 185 languages?!" America hollered.

"Hahaha!! I know! Some of them still speak Spanish. That makes it more fun!" Philipp squeaked excitedly at America and they didn't notice another country is closing in.

"Well, gracias. I'm grateful you still appreciate me, of all people."

"Espana!!! Kamusta? Long time no see!" Philippines beamed, as he saw Spain.

Philipp still respects Spain even if the other country has colonialized him for centuries. They've been at peace ever since.

"It's my pleasure to see you too. Dios Mio, how much you've changed." Spain stated brushing Philipp's head earning a cheerful delight from Philippines and an unreadable expression from America.

"Hey, Spain. Glad to see you here." America bluntly hissed.

"Hola, America. I was on vacation and visited the South, I just came here and I spotted you both. I can't help it to intrude with your... little chat." Spain retorted back with a slight smirk.

"Anyways, what are you doing here?" Spain asked Philipp.

"Well, long story short, I came here for business matters and America offered for me to stay with him for the meantime." Philipp sang.

"Oh? He asked you to stay?" Spain looked at America with a raised eyebrow.

"It was an act of kindness, no need to praise me," America remarked giving Spain an ironic grin.

Of course, there has been a dispute with Spain and America in the past but that was long gone as time passed. Something unknown just triggered both countries as the oblivious country, Philippines, is between them.

Before the atmosphere become heavy, a sound of pitter platter intervenes.

"Oh, it's starting to rain!" Philippines boomed as he held out his hands.

"Let's look for cover before it'll pour down. You don't have an umbrella, right?" Spain suggested putting a hand on Philipp's shoulder.

"My place is near here. We'll just run there before the rain gets heavy" America answered back as he slightly swatted off Spain's hand.

Unluckily, the rain started to pour down, gradually getting heavy.

"We should go." America quickly grabbed Philipp's wrists and he slowly turned with the smaller country following him as he intends to leave Spain out in the sidewalk.

"Wait, how about Spain?" Philippines suddenly asked.

"It's okay, bonito. I'll just go back to my hotel. I'll just wait for a cab." Spain alerts Philipp for him not to worry but eyes don't lie.

"Can't he stay until the rain stops?" Philipp begged as he looks at America. He knows that it is America's place and he has no rights to let another stay in but he can't help it. He can't leave a country out in the rain.

America honestly hates the idea. Something hurts in his chest.

America looked at Philippine's puppy-glazed eyes. He knows that Philipp will help anyone in trouble, just a little help in his own little way. He looks at Spain and could see a shock plastered in the red and yellow face. He can read Spain like an open book. He's been there. Spain didn't expect for Philipp to ask America to let him stay.

And he certainly didn't expect for America to actually consider.

.

.

.

"Stay in my place until the rain stops, España."

--------------------------------------------------

SPAIN MAKES AN ENTRANCE!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reading and for being patient with me!!!

Facts:

There are 17 regions in the Philippines but each region is still divided into provinces which are 81 provinces. The Philippines also has 185 languages and dialects and some of these are greatly influenced by the Spaniards since they've colonialized the Philippines for 3 centuries.

America and Spain have broken relations just once when they went to war against each other in the Spanish-American War of 1898. Spain joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in 1982 and the defense and security relations between the two countries are regulated.