A Dangerous Card Game

"Um, Cal?" Mark asked nervously as I pulled everything else that I had gotten out of my bag.

"What? You scared, Mark?" I snickered.

"Uh, yeah, just a little, judging on what you got... WAIT IS THAT PAINT?" He shrieked.

"Maybe..." I laughed.

"Is this what I think it is...?" Ponsi picked up the tube of glue that I had gotten.

"Yup! Now let's not worry too much about these right now." I picked everything up, after making sure everything was there, and put it all back into the bag and set it on the couch behind my head. "Okay, so this is the game." I pulled the cards out from their box and began shuffling them. "Slap Jack." I smirked as their faces lit up.

"Hey!" Isom sat straight up and smiled. "This is a really fun game!"

"I wouldn't play it if it wasn't fun!" I giggled.

"Okay, someone's going to need to refresh my memory on how to play, because I'm sure her version is very different from the way we've always played." Sean sat forward and gestured for me to explain.

"Oh, it's actually played the same way. I distribute the cards around the circle and you can't see them, if you peek, it's just like if you lose, more on that later. So again, we flip the cards and if it's a Jack, you slap it, last person to slap, whose hand is on top, gets the pile. The person who runs out of cards the fastest is the winner, and when someone runs out of cards, we find out who has the most left in their stack and they're the loser!"

"So, what makes this your famous 'Texas Edition' then?" Cubbie asked. He sounded slightly relieved that I hadn't explained what happens to the losers and the cheaters yet.

"Because of what happens to the losers and the cheaters. Everything that I bought? We get to smear whatever we want on them!" I giggled as I earned some weary faces from the guys. "Okay, I'll give out the cards." I laughed as I began to hand them out.

"I'm ready for this!" Ponsi laughed and rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

"Me too! This is not as bad as truth or dare!" Sean laughed.

"Never speak of that again!" Mark shivered as he thought of some of the things that were said.

"Agreed." We all replied in unison.

"Okay! Let's get started! I'll go first." I pulled off my top card and laid it face up in the middle of the circle. I was followed by Mark, Isom, Sean, Cubbie, and Ponsi, then it looped back around to me. It went on for another round before Cubbie set down the first Jack. I flung my hand out as hard as I could and slapped the deck, unfortunately, I wasn't on the bottom

"Ouch..." I heard Isom groan. I peeked under the pile of hands a saw that his was under mine, right on top of the deck.

"Sorry, Isom..." I apologized.

"It's okay, Cal. Now I know how to play though!" He laughed.

"Ouch, who's on top of me?" I moaned as I realized my hand seriously stung.

"Uh, I think it's me..." Cubbie admitted.

I bent over again and saw it was his hand. "No, it's okay, I was just wondering." I tried laughing it off, but I wasn't as convincing as I thought I was.

"Well, you'll be fine, you're one tough girl."

"Whatever!" I laughed and shoved him with my free hand.

"Who's on top?" Mark asked, changing the subject back to the game.

"Ugh, it's me..." Sean moaned.