A No-Show Date And Phone Calls

CALLIEGH'S POV

I stumbled around school that Friday, everyone was lit up with excitement for the Homecoming game tonight and then the dance tomorrow night. Well, everyone but me, that is. I just couldn't get excited for this for some weird reason, I just had a bad feeling about this whole "dance" thing.

"Cal, come on, cheer up!" Sash, Will, and Susan were sitting around me at lunch. I wasn't really eating, just poking at my food.

"Cal, you never act like this." Will put a finger under my chin and lifted my head up as a pang of sadness stabbed my heart. Will didn't know any better, though, he didn't know this is how the guys would try and cheer me up. Then again Will has always done this to cheer me up.

"I'm sorry, guys."

"I know you're nervous about this whole 'Homecoming dance date' thing, but you know that we'll be there for you if it turns out to be something bad." Sash patted my hand reassuringly.

"I know... It's just that I can't shake this feeling!" I groaned.

"It's okay, we're here for you." Will nodded. "We can all go catch a movie if it's someone we don't like."

"Okay, but don't make me the third wheel for both you and Sash and Susan and Frank." I rolled my eyes and giggled.

"Don't worry, we won't!" Susan laughed as Frank came over and sat next to her.

"What'd I miss?" Frank looked around questioningly.

"Nothing much, Cal's just worried about her date." Susan answered for me.

"Laaaaaaaame!" Frank leaned back and laughed. "Listen to me, your date's going to show up and we're all going to be jealous."

"How do you know that?" I snorted.

"I don't know, I'm just trying to make you feel better." Frank shrugged as I punched him in the arm.

Sash leaned over to me and motioned for me to come closer. "What if it's one of the guys?" She whispered into my ear.

I shook my head, alomst hitting her in the ear with my nose. "Don't you dare get my hopes up like that!" I smacked her in the shoulder and scooted away from her.

"Whatever! It was just a thought!"

"Shut up!" I laughed. That's when Will and Susan started laughing too. "What are y'all laughing at?"

"You! Just a second ago, you were acting like there was nothing good in the world! Now look at you! You're laughing like you aren't the walking ball of stress you were!" Will laughed.

We all laughed at that and I felt a little bit of the weight of the world lift off my shoulders for that thirty minutes. Soon the bell rang and Susan and I went to English, our fifth period.

The day went by slow after that, I just couldn't find the bright side in anything. All I can say is that depression hits you hard and won't go away, it's not something that you want to have.

The game after school was a close match, the team we were playing against fought our team, literally. The refs had to go out and break up several fights that the other team had started, and our guys had stupidly fought back.

When halftime came, we didn't get to go through our show, halftime was used up for the presentation of Homecoming Court. So, we, the band, went down and played one song repeatedly for about fifteen minutes straight. My face was as good as dead after that. But the worst part of it was that the song, wasn't even enjoyable to play! It was one of those super easily played songs, so it was fifteen minutes of, well, not torture, because that's definitely not what torture feels like.