Don't Blink

A/N remember these are all a bunch of 1 shots so this isn't continued from the last chapter. Also this is an AU based off the song Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney. Just a warning there might be a few chapters that are based off of songs.

Thomas POV

I got home from work before Newt today. I turned on the evening news saw an old man being interviewed. Turning 102 today.

I wonder if Newt and I will be able to live that long?

They asked him "Whats the secret to life?" He looked up from his ole pipe then laughed and said "All I can say is Don't Blink. Just like that you're 6 years old and you take a nap. Wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife."

'Well my high school sweetheart became my husband' I thought at this part then continued listening.

"Don't blink. just might miss your babies growin like mine did."

Newt and I had adopted a little baby girl 3 years ago. Actually her 3rd birthday is next week. She has short, curly, bright, blonde hair and blue eyes. She has the cutest little laugh I've ever heard. She laughs at almost everything. Her name is Elizabeth but we call her Lizzy for short.

Then we also have Steven. He's a handful. He's 8 now. His hair is a dark brown with the slightest hints of blonde in several places on the top. He has beautiful blue eyes. He's in the 2nd grade.

I remember when we got them. They had arrived at the adoption center together. They are actual brother and sister. Steven would not leave without Elizabeth which is okay with us because we wanted both a boy and a girl.

Lizzy loves playing games like hide n' seek or tag. We usually make it a big family game and we all play.

After my little flash back I went back to listening to the old man on the news.

"Turnin into moms and dads." I'm really not looking forward to when that comes. "Next thing you know you're better half of fifty years is there in bed. And you're praying God takes you instead. Trust me friend 100 years goes faster than you think. So don't blink."

I didn't notice Newt walk in with the kids since today was his day to pick them up.

I was glued to my tv when it looked like he looked at me and said "Best start putting first things first. Because when the hourglass runs out of sand you can't just flip it over and start again. Take every breath God gives you for what it's worth. Don't blink. Cause just like that you're 6 years old and you take a nap wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife. Don't blink. You just might miss your babies growin like mine did. Turnin into Mom's and Dad's. Next thing you know your better half of fifty years is there in bed and you're prayin God takes you instead. Trust me friend 100 years goes faster than you think. So don't blink."

It was now that I noticed Newt and the kids were home. Mainly because Newt had sat down right next to me on the couch and had his hand on my thigh. which even after being together for 6 years still sent shivers throughout my body. I looked at him and smiled placing my hand on his thigh.

"What are you watching that has you so distracted from me?" He asks with a smirk playing on his lips.

"They're interviewing this 102 year old man on the news." I said indicating the tv.

"So are you going after the older guys now? Is that what you're trying to say?" he asked with his smirk still on his face. "Am I too young for you?" he continued.

"Oh yeah." I said, "you are far too young for me." My voice was coated in sarcasm.

"Well I can tell when I'm not wanted." He said then made to stand up but I wrapped my arms around his waist and yanked him back down. Now he's sitting on my lap with my arms around his waist.

"I guess I could make an exception for a cutie like you though." I said with a smirk tugging at my lips.

"Oh really?" I nodded, "prove it then." He finished. I leaned in and kissed him. He started smiling into the kiss which made me smile too. We finally broke apart. He now had his arms wrapped around my neck. He leaned his head against my chest. I decided I was gonna slow it down. I've been trying to take it in. In this here today gone tomorrow world we're living in.

His words still bounce around in my head every now and then. Don't blink. Cause just like that you're 6 years old and you take a nap wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife. Don't blink. You just might miss your babies growin like mine did. Turnin into Mom's and Dad's. Next thing you know your better half of fifty years is there in bed and you're prayin God takes you instead. Trust me friend 100 years goes faster than you think. So don't blink. Life goes faster than you think.