9

Jo

I heard heels against my dark, marble floors. I didn't stop what I was doing, which was digging through my filing cabinet.

"Mr. King, can I speak to you?"

I looked over my shoulder. Amanda's jaw was jutted out, and she looked like it was a serious matter.

She wasn't as made up as usual. Her hair wasn't in a sleek bun, instead it was falling down her back with just a clip holding half of it up. Her makeup was more natural than usual.

"Make it quick."

I closed my filing cabinet, leaning against it.

"Did you send me flowers?" She asked, her head cocked over. Her prominent jaw was set in what seemed like frustration.

I just looked at her.

"Why did you send me flowers," she quietly asked, raking her hands through her hair.

"I sent you flowers because you were upset," I said, "I thought they might help."

"Flowers from the boss don't really look good when the husband shows up," she said, her eyes locked on mine.

"It wasn't an invitation, Amanda," I said.

"I had to lie and say they were from my cousin," she deadpanned, "I don't even know my cousins."

I shrugged, looking back at her. "I'm sorry. I tried to lighten your mood. Remind me to not anymore."

She just looked at me, her blue eyes nearly boring holes into me.

I just shrugged, sitting down at my desk.

"Listen, I'm sorry," she said, "I'm just a little stressed. I shouldn't take out my anger on you."

"You're absolutely right, considering I'm your boss," I said, nodding up at her.

She nodded and folded her hands in front of her abdomen. "I'll be at my desk if you need me."

I just shook my head. Women never failed to confuse me.

She walked out of my office and Fred replaced her.

"Hey," he greeted, "you look pissed, what's wrong?"

"Women," I deadpanned.

I dropped my pen on my desk and looked up at him, my jaw set in frustration. "I sent Amanda flowers because she's having problems with her husband and that didn't sit well with her."

"How do you know she's having problems with her husband?" He asked, sitting down on my desk.

"She's staying at a hotel, no woman just miraculously stays at a hotel for a week straight if they're happy in their relationship."

"Well, you never know," he said, shrugging, "maybe her husband just wanted to give her a break."

I remembered the conversation Amanda and I'd had last night.

"Yeah, that's not it," I said, shaking my head as I stood, "but it's whatever. Women can continue to confuse me."

He just chuckled. "Yeah, tell me about it. You know, Meredith blatantly asked me the other night what color vibrator she should've used. Can't that be considered as a pass?"

I chuckled and looked at him. "Well, did you give her an answer?"

"Yeah, while I was choking on my own goddamn spit," he deadpanned, "no, I didn't give her an answer."