44

Fred

I opened the door and Cindy stood up, twiddling her thumbs in front of her stomach nervously.

"Is she okay?"

I rested my hands on my hips, shooting her a dumbfounded look.

"Stupid question," she muttered, sitting back down.

I raked my hands through my hair, leaning my head back. I'd royally screwed up everything I'd ever wanted.

I sat down on the couch, hopeful for a breath. A breath of air, a breath of clarity, I needed something.

"She left because of me."

"No, she left because of me," I answered, resting my head in my hands.

I rubbed my temples, my jaw set in utter frustration. Women would always be an insoluble three thousand piece jigsaw puzzle.

"Yeah, but if I wouldn't have shown up, would that've happened?" She softly asked.

"At some point," I answered, nodding.

"Yeah, but not tonight," she said, "not when you needed it the least."

I looked over at her.

"I know about your business," she said, nodding, "it's everywhere."

I clenched my jaw. Just what I needed to hear.

"I shouldn't have come here," she said, shaking her head, "b-but your place was the first place I thought of. I would've stayed back if I would've known that you were in a relationship."

In all honesty, I was tuning her out but hearing most of what she was saying.

"It's not your fault, Cindy," I said, standing up. I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, grabbing out a water. I desperately needed to hydrate.

I walked into the living area and collapsed on the couch.

"You love her, yeah?"

I looked over at her. "Yeah, I love her."

"Then what are you going to do?" She asked, biting down on her bottom lip.

I shrugged. "I'm going to give her space. She'll come back to me when she wants to."

She smiled a small smile. "That's probably why you two have a few problems."

I looked over at her, my eyebrows in a soft furrow.

"What's that mean?" I asked.

"It means it wouldn't piss her off if she knew you cared," she said, "if you went after her."

"I'm afraid it would, considering she told me to not come looking for her."

Cindy shook her head. "Why wasn't that an invitation?"

I wanted to punch myself for even contemplating getting up from the couch right now.

"She doesn't want that," I reassured, shaking my head.

"Maybe you're right," she said, "maybe she doesn't want it. But you chasing after her might help her make up her mind about you."

"How would that work?" I asked. I was genuinely curious at this point.

"The fact that you'd risk everything just to see her face?" She questionably said, her eyebrows in a furrow, "I'd kill for that."

I leaned forward, my hands fisted in front of my mouth.