47

Jo

"Ready?"

I turned around to face Lena, who was finally walking downstairs.

My eyebrows shot up. "Woah."

She smiled, tilting her head over. "Sorry it took so long. I was deciding between this and something more casual."

I held my hand out to her, leading her down the rest of the stairs. "Well worth the wait."

She grinned up at me, spinning around in her figure-fitting dress and denim jacket.

"I love it," I muttered, pressing a kiss to her temple.

She grabbed her sunglasses and keys from the table next to us, glancing around to make sure she wasn't forgetting anything.

"This is a big thing, you know," she said, opening the door.

I walked out behind her, keeping some distance between us. I smiled down at her sneakers. "Yeah, it is."

She shot me a glance over her shoulder. "Am I too underdressed?"

"No, my love," I muttered, pressing the elevator button. We got inside as soon as it made it to my floor, and rode down the other forty-four floors.

"Have a good day, Mr. King," the doorman greeted, smiling a charming smile.

"Thanks, Carlos," I said, slinging my arm around Lena's shoulder.

"So," she said, "we're stopping at the market?"

We stepped outside into the brisk Chicago air, and I looked down at her to make sure she wasn't visibly freezing. "I was thinking we could do that after the meeting. You know-"

She pressed her palm against her forehead. "Duh. That makes tons more sense."

I chuckled and we walked down the busy sidewalk. I wanted to bring up what had been on my mind for weeks now.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lena said, looking over her shoulder.

"What happened?"

"Well, that person and I basically side slammed each other."

I chuckled. "You're far too nice for this city."

"Am not."

"You are," I said, nodding down at her.

We walked the rest of the way down the sidewalk, and stopped at the building we needed. I opened the glass doors for her, stepping inside the posh building after her.

"Welcome, Mr. King!" The photographer greeted, opening his arms.

"Hi, Tanner," I greeted, smiling.

"And this is the lovely lady," he said, grinning. He rested his hand on his hip and gave her a one-take.

"I hope today isn't the shoot day?" He cautiously asked, looking up at me.

Lena's cheeks burned red. "I told you I was underdressed."

"We're just here for a meeting," I said, "you know this."

"I'm just teasing," he giggled out, giving her shoulder a gentle shove, "love the sneakers and dress combo."

She chuckled. "Um, thanks."

"So," I said, folding my arms across my chest, "tell me ideas."

"So Fred and Alexis, they did a power couple shoot."

"Right," I said, following him through the building full of backdrops, ring lights, a photographer's dream, really.

"So I'm thinking the same for you two, just a little twist. I want you two to be less... frisky."