Pilot

Dear Diary,

      Elena is insistent that I write in my journal everyday. She thinks it will help me move on. But I don't need to move on, my parents died. No, not my biological parents but my adoptive parents. I feel like that means more to me. My biological parents didn't want me, but my mom and dad, they did. They chose to keep me, and make me apart of their family. I'm glad that I had them. And I'm glad to have my brother and sister with me now.

I close my journal and place it on my desk. I walk to my closet and pick out a white sweater and my green skirt. I grab black tenni-wedges and get dressed. I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and brush out my hair. It's naturally curly so I keep it in it's waves.
      "Toast. I can make toast." I hear Jenna say as I walk down stairs.
      "It's all about the coffee aunt Jenna." Elena tells her.
      "Is there coffee?" Jeremey asks and I walk in behind him. I hit the back of his head lightly and give him a small smile. He returns it and take the coffee cup out of Elena's hand.
      "Your first day if school and I'm totally unprepared." Jenna tells us. "Lunch money?" Jenna asks.
     "I'm okay." Elena tells her as Jeremy and I both grab some money out of her hand.
     "Anything else? A number two pencil?" Jenna jokes. "What am I missing?"
    "Don't you have a big presentation today?"
    "I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at.. now. Crap!"
    "Then go. We'll be fine." Elena tells her.
    "Yeah, we are all good here." I tel her with a smile and she walks out of the kitchen to leave.
    "You okay?" Elena asks us.
    "Don't start." Jeremy says and walks out of the room.
   "He's gonna be okay Elena. He just needs time." I tell her and squeeze her hand.
   "And what about you? Are you okay?"
    "Yeah. Just get through the day, right?" I says and she nods with me.
*beep*
    "That would be Bonnie. You want a ride to school?" She asks.
   "Um, no. I'm good. It's really nice out I'm just gonna take my skateboard." I tell her.
   "You sure?"
    "Yeah. Come on don't leave Bon waiting." I rush her towards the door and on my way out I grab the travel mug of coffee Elena made me. I grab my back pack and skateboard and make my way out the door with Elena. "Hey Bonnie." I greet her.
    "Hey Phoebe, you catching a ride with us?" She asks.
   "Um, no. Gonna skateboard to school." I tell her and place my board on the ground with my foot on it.
   "Okay. Well then have a nice first day if I don't see you." She says.
   "Nothing special just sophomore year." I tell her and put my headphones in. "Bye." I say to them as I start to ride my board away towards school.

I'm turning the corner right by the school when I ram into someone and I'm on the ground.
    "Damn." I say as I stand back up. "I'm so sorry. I was so lost in thought and I didn't see you there." I tell a boy I've never seen before, who looks like he could be about my age.
    "It's fine. No harm no foul right? Are you okay?" He asks me.
    "Yeah, no. I'm good. Just a little shell-shocked I guess. I'm Phoebe." I tell him and put my hand out to him.
   "Hunter." He tells me and he shakes my hand."I think this belongs to you." He tells me handing me my board, and I take it from him.
   "Thanks. Are you on your way to school?" I ask him.
    "Yeah. I'm supposed to be meeting up with my brother in the office.. right now, actually." He tells me as he looks at his watch. 
    "I can show you where it is when we get there, if you want." I tell him.
    "And save me wandering around like an idiot? That would be great." He tells me with a smile.
   "So you're new in town?" I ask him.
    "Yeah. Well, sort of. My brother and I just moved back her to live with my uncle. We're staying at the Salvatore boarding house." He explains.
    "Cool. What grade?" I ask.
    "Sophomore." He tells me.
    "Me too." I say and by now we're walking into the school.
    "Cool. You lived her long?" He asks me.
   "My whole life." I tell him.
   "Nice, I'm sort of getting small town vibes. You know? Like everyone knows everyone type of thing." He says.
    "Yeah, I guess. Sometimes it sucks how fast news travels, but sometimes it's nice to have so many people there." I tell him. "Well, here it is." I tell him as we come to a stop by the office doors.
    "Thanks. I hope I see you around, Phoebe." He says and walks into the office.
    "You too." I tell him but he's already inside and I doubt he heard me.