History Repeating

"I will be back out in like 5 minutes." I tell Hunter as I open the door to my car.
   "The clock has started." He tells me and I close the door and race up my pathway to my front door. I get inside and go straight towards my room. I throw on my painted jeans and a greenish- gray sweater. I brush out my hair and brush my teeth. I grab my back pack and run out of my room and down the stairs. I make it out to the car and turn the engine on and pull out of the drive way. My phone rings and I pick it up and look at the caller ID and it's Jo.
    "Hey," I pic up the phone. "I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. I mean the last time we talked was like.. I don't know, a few days ago. We've never been this out of touch." i tell her frowning on my end.
    "I know. I'm so sorry, there has been so much going on at my house. My grandma is getting old and we don't know how long she has." She explains.
    "Oh, I'm so sorry Jo. Is there anything that I can do?"
    "Well, that's actually why I called. I can't come to school today, so could you take notes for me and bring them over after school?" She asks me.
    "Yeah, no problem. I can drop them off." I tell her.
    "Thanks so much Phebs. We'll have to
hang out soon."
"Yeah, I miss you." I tell her with a sad smile.
"I miss you too. Look I should get going."
"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, maybe. Bye."
I hang up the phone and focus on driving the rest of the mile to school.

▫️▫️▫️

I'm siting in history, my last class and the new teacher is writing his name on the board.
"Alaric. Saltzman. It's a mouthful. I know. Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. Saltzman is of german origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however was born and raised in boston. Now, the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce it Ala-ric, but it's a-lar-ic, ok? So you can call me Ric. I'm your new history teacher." He gives us his whole speech. I float through the rest of class not really paying attention. I'm really worried about Jo, and her grandma and our friendship together. She's been really distant and I think it's about Hunter but I don't know why she would be against him. He's a really good guy. The bell ringing pulls me out of my thoughts. I pack up my things and then text Hunter real quick.

Did you need a ride?

Hunter❤️💕 - Nope. Headed back with Stefan.

Okay, see you later.

I look up from my phone and see that Jeremy was in the room.
"Hey, Jer, you want a ride home?" I asked him.
"Yeah, that'd be great. Mr. Saltzman wanted to talk to me really quick, but I'll meet you outside." He tells me and I nod and walk out the door of the room, but not after a quick glance at Mr. Saltzman.

"So he's giving you extra credit?" I ask Jer on the way to Jo's house.
"Yeah, he was really cool about it all." He tells me. "Hey, where are we going?" He asks.
"I have to drop off some school work for Jo. She wasn't at school."
"She hasn't been around a lot. Is everything with you two okay?" He asked looking concerned.
"I don't know. I feel so disconnected from her." I tell him and my phone rings saying I have a text. "Can you check that for me?" I ask him and he nods.
"It's Elena, she wants to know if you wanted to join her, Bonnie, and Caroline's sleep over tonight." He tells me.
"Just leave it, I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight." I tell him.
"Well why don't you come with me to meet Jenna at the grill after dropping off the school work." he offers.
"Yeah, that sounds great actually." I tell him with a smile. "Okay, here we are. I'll be right back." I tell him as I pull into Jo's drive way.
I get out and walk up to the front door. I knock twice and Jo's mom answers the door.
"Hey, Mrs. Moore, I'm here to drop some school work off for Jo."
"Oh, thanks Phoebe, that was very nice of you." She tells me with a smile.
"Really it's no problem. Well I should get going I'm meeting my aunt at the grill." I tell her.
"Okay, and don't be a stranger. You're welcome by here anytime." She tells me, I give her a quick thanks and then walk back to
the car.
"Okay, to the grill." I tell Jer and he nods. "Can you text Elena no and that I'm going to the grill with you?" I ask him.
"Yep."

▫️▫️▫️

"I like a man who can dine alone. A quiet strength. " Aunt Jenna tells us as she gives a look to Mr. Saltzman our new history teacher.
"I thought you were still in that whole Logan depression thing." Jeremy reminds her.
"Oh, I've sworn off men forever, but it doesn't mean I can't observe them from a safe distance." She explains to Jeremy.
"I say go for it. We could introduce you." I tell her and she just shakes her head a little. But I can tell she was thinking about it. Jeremy goes in to tell her about how Mr. Saltzman is letting him have extra credit.
"Have you picked a topic?" Jenna asks.
"No, not yet. It's gotta be local and non-internet research, so..."
"Well, that's easy. You got all your dads stuff." Jenna tells him.
"What stuff?" Jeremy and I ask in unison.
"Ooo freaky." I tell them and we share a little laugh.
"How the Gilbert's came over on the 'mayflower' stuff, All that family lineage from way back. Your dad really loved all that family history stuff. It's all boxed up in the closet." She explains to us and I'm very interested. I look over to see Mr. Saltzman walking over to us.
"Mr. Saltzman." Jeremy greets her.
"Jeremy. What's up, man?" He greets him not noticing me or Jenna yet.
"This is my aunt Jenna and my sister Phoebe." He tells him and he looks over at Jenna.
"Alaric Saltzman. It's nice to meet you." He says to Jenna.
"Jeremy was just telling us about his paper. Thanks for giving him another chance."
"Oh, you know, it was my first day. I wanted to make a good impression." He tells Aunt Jenna, then he turns to me. "Phoebe, you're in my 9th period history class right?" He asks me.
"Oh, yeah. That's me." I tell him with a laugh.

Jeremy and I leave a little later. We walk up our driveway to the front door and when we open it. Caroline and Elena are there, and they look really freaked out. Jeremy and I just walk inside. I go to the closet and pull out some old boxes.
"What'd you say Jer? Wanna take a walk down memory lane." I ask him and we open up the box and start to look through all the old things. About 15 minutes later Jenna and Mr. Saltzman are at the door. They talk there for a few minutes before Jenna comes in without Mr. Saltzman.
"So, uh, you found the boxes." She says as she walks into the kitchen where we are.
"Yep, how is your swear on men going?" I ask her and she just gives me a look.
"We found this too." Jeremy tell her showing her a picture. I slap his shoulder and give him a look that says, 'you're an ass. Let her get over him'.
"Me and Logan. That's just cruel." She tells him.
"No, cruel is dating our history teacher." Jeremy tells her.
"I'm not dating him. Yet." She tells us and I can tell she likes him.
I follow her into the kitchen.
"Hey, so I was thinking maybe we have another movie night. Watch some Grey's Anatomy or something." I offer.
"Yeah, that sounds nice."
"Cool. I will go get it ready." I tell her and run off to the living room. A few minutes later she comes in with an assortment of foods.
"Ooo, you really are the best Aunt." I tell her and take some red vines.
"I know." She says flipping her hair and sitting down next to me. I lay my head on her shoulder and hit play on Grey's Anatomy.

I start to drift off at the middle of our second episode. When the door bell rings and Jenna gets up to answer it. Careful not to wake me all the way.
"Hello, Jenna." I hear at the door and I know that voice.
"Logan."
"Aren't you going to invite me inside?" He asks and I get up and walk towards the door. Only to see Logan Fell standing there.