Chapter 26: The Role of a Pawn

Chapter 26

THE ROLE OF A PAWN

Malakas na ungol ang kumawala sa lalamunan ko nang bumagsak ang katawan ko sa front seat ng kotse. Kasabay halos ng nakakakilabot na tunog na nilikha ng mga nagbanggaang metal ng mga sasakyan. I didn't dare to look back to see what happened. I was scared. That was a close call. Kung nahuli ako kahit ilang segundo lang, siguradong nagsasaya na ang may mga galit sa akin.

"You need a seatbelt?"

Umayos ako ng pagkakaupo saka lumingon kay Sahara. Hindi ko inasahan na darating s'ya para iligtas ako — o iligtas si Naami. Malamang ay utos ng Player kaya s'ya narito. I wasn't her priority. Pero sa kabilang banda, I was thankful that she's here. She just saved me, I had to admit.

Napabuntong-hiningang itinuon ko ang paningin ko sa van. Sa ngayon, kailangang naroon ang buong atensyon ko. Sahara and I were not at the right time to talk about anything.

Naami and Creed were still inside. It's hard for me to see what's going on at all, but I wondered what's taking Creed so long to stop the van. He could punch the driver to death, right?

"Enjoying the adventure?" Sahara asked.

"How did you know we're here?" I asked back without looking at her. I didn't want to talk. Like I said: it was not the right time for us. But part of me wished we could really talk.

"Simple. I am the Legendary Queen," Sahara replied.

I snorted. "Yeah."

To be honest, ang paglantad n'ya sa pula n'yang mga mata ay isang patunay na inilalabas n'ya na kung sino talaga s'ya. She was burying Tiarah's identity and I didn't know how to react to this. My mind was saying she should stay as Tiarah. But then again, she was not Tiarah.

"This is not what I planned," she whispered. "They know I'm still alive and I know their game. Pinilit kong ilayo ka sa laro, Temple, but you yourself came closer to them. Now, death is the only chance to escape. It's either their death or yours."

"Who are you pointing to?" kunot-noo ko s'yang nilingon.

Hinintay kong sumagot siya, pero naudlot iyon nang banggain ng van ang kotse namin. Parehas kaming nagmura nang maalog ang sasakyan.

"Take the wheel," malakas na sabi ni Sahara.

At first ay nablangko ang utak ko at napatitig lang ako sa kanya, pero nang makita kong binitiwan n'ya ang manibela ng kotse ay saka ako parang kidlat na kumilos. I grabbed the wheel at ipinihit 'yon para umiwas sa nalalapit na pagbangga namin.

"Fuck! What the hell are you doing!" sigaw ko nang makita kong tuluyan na s'yang tumayo sa driver's seat. Tuluyan niyang iniwan ang pwesto n'ya kaya wala akong nagawa kundi pumalit doon.

Sahara climbed to the hood, ignoring the danger and death. She was like a cat, a lioness sizing up her prey.

Her eyes... there was something in her eyes.

She signaled me to move closer to the van. I didn't know what she was planning to do. I was nervous, but I reminded myself that Sahara was the Legendary Queen. She was a legend. Impossible was possible to her.

Let me see it now.

I crossed the little distance between the car and the van. I made it perfectly. Tapat na tapat si Sahara sa driver.