Chapter 2

"You know, I didn't really believe what they said about you in school till now," he smirked. 

I was still staring at him, dumbfounded, I realized. So I closed my mouth and looked up into his eyes. His beautiful bright blue eyes. What the hell am I thinking? This is not me. I don't get starstruck over hot guys. I don't TALK to hot guys. Yet here I was, almost drooling while this guy attempted to speak to me. 

"They say you're some kind of an alien who was stuck here on this planet to try and blend in..and you're doing a horrible job." 

Before I knew it my mouth was moving. "Oh really, and who says that?" 

He waved his hands around. "Oh! And she speaks!" He laughed. "And all it took was for me to insult you." 

"Happy now? Can I go?" 

"Who's forcing you to stay? I just commented on your music taste, which is pretty good by the way." He leaned in as he said this, as if it was some sort of secret. His scent overwhelmed me. 

"Well, thanks," I muttered awkwardly, trying to end the conversation and walk away. 

He didn't take the hint. In an instant, he was following me out of the store. 

"I never got your name, alien." 

There's a reason. "Mackenzie. My name is Mackenzie." 

"Well then, Mackenzie," he grabbed my arm and let loose that amazing smile. "You look like you can use some lunch. I'm buying." 

I snatched my arm away. "Look, I don't even know you, so whatever it is you're trying to do-" 

He backed away politely, the first time he had given me pursonal space since we started talking.  

"I'm just trying to take you to lunch. Don't shoot me. And my name's Liam. Liam Alexander." That lazy grin crept up again. "Now you know me." 

But I didn't. He was still just some creepy stranger who was big on invading personal space.  

Luckily, I didn't have to decline his offer, as Melody and Kelsey approached us. 

"See! I told you she'd be at the music store," Kelsey accused. 

"Fine. You were right. Happy?" 

Liam waited patiently while the girls argued this out, exchanging small glances at me. If I didn't stop this, they'd go on all day.  

"Are you two done shopping?" I asked, making them realize I was still here, and unfortunately making them realize Liam was too. 

"Who's this, Kenzie? Your boyfriend? I knew there had to be a reason you wanted that car so badly. You're not just going to the library every day, are you?" She and Kelsey scrutinized Liam. 

"You did good, Mackenzie. He's cute. And honestly, I was starting to think that maybe you didn't like boys." One thing about Kelsey I usually liked was that she spoke her mind, and usually the truth. Right now, though, I was ready to punch her in the face. 

"He's not my boyfriend!" I yell, emitting disapproving glances from some of the adults in the building. 

Liam smirked and I wondered what the hell was so funny.  

"Yeah, guys. She wont even let me take her to lunch." 

"Maybe she is gay," muttered Kelsey. 

I covered my eyes. This could not be happening. 

"Hey guys, don't be so hard on her. Stranger Danger and all that." 

I didn't know what kind of game Liam was playing, but it wasn't even remotely funny.  

Finally Melody stepped in. "Alright guys, give her a break. Lets just get home. "

Thirty minutes later we were home and I was safely cowering in my room. That was enough embarrassment for one day. My little sister had to defend me because I was too big of a wimp to defend myself. That was pitiful. And it was in front of Liam. 

Liam. 

Why was I worried about what he thought? He was nobody to me. Just some guy who decided to talk to a loser. And he called me "alien." There was no reason why I should even be thinking about him right now, yet his face kept coming into my head. God. 

A soft knock at my door distracted me for now.  

"Can I come in?" 

It was Melody. I knew she'd come eventually. 

"Free country," I muttered and the door began to open. 

In stepped Melody. She had changed. She now wore a baggy T-shirt and basketball shorts. Her long brown hair was pinned up in a bun and she had her glasses on. It was a very little known fact that my sister wore glasses. She wasn't like me. She had to fit in. 

She sat on the edge of my bed and for a second we just shared a moment of silence. It wasn't often we could share the same room without fighting, but every since dad left, we'd been subconsciously working on our relationship for mom. 

"I'm sorry about earlier." 

She didn't have to say it. I knew which part she was talking about. 

"And Kelsey's gonna call you and apologize too," she quickly added. "Hope we didn't embarrass you too much in front of your..friend." 

I sighed. And the digging began. "He wasn't my boyfriend." 

Her eyes darted up to mine. "I didn't say that." 

"You were thinking it, Mel. You're an open book." 

"No, I w-wasn't." 

"Stop lying. You're horrible at it." I gave her a small smile. "He wasn't even a friend. Just some guy who goes to my school." 

A smile crept across her face as she scooted up on my bed till she was able to cross her legs. "If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you go to lunch with him?" 

I stood up and walked to the door. Melody followed me. Without another moment's thought, I pushed her out the door, slammed it, and locked it.  

"I mind," I told her through the door. 

"Mackenzie!" she shouted through the door, banging on it. 

I couldn't possibly tell her why I didn't go out with Liam. The truth was, I just didn't want my first date to be with some loser Jock who was only concerned about sex. So Liam was completely out of the question..or so I thought.

~Okay, so this chapter was really short, but that spur of the moment cane again and I had to get it out. Hope you liked it. And if you want, leave me a comment. Should I make Melody and Mackenzie closer, or leave their relationship the way it is-well was? Let me know! :) ~