42

Days have passed and there was Irene, staring at the small amount of stars that were visible under the dark clouds. The strong wind blew, almost lifting her figure but she held on the glass fence tightly and held her hair that was now forming a mess on her face.

Since that day that he disappeared, she kept up every night and waited for him to come home. She kept exchanging calls with her the girls but mostly, Yeri, who kept telling her to just come home with them. But she insisted to stay at his penthouse, telling Yeri the same words all over again:

"What if he comes back and doesn't see me here waiting for him? He'll be sad."

She yawned, covering her mouth before checking her phone for the time. It was past midnight, and again she couldn't sleep. Her body has been looking for Y/N laying beside her, pulling her close and holding her tight. She missed how it was, the way they would just make out until they run out of breath, until they get tired of laughing, until they both become calm and begin talking anouy their future, before they both will drift off to sleep, but mostly it was Y/N who sleeps first. He was a natural sleepyhead, Irene thought.

Behind those clouds, Irene sights the only star that shone so brightly that night. It was called the north star, the polaris.

"Are you watching me from there, Y/N?" Joohyun chuckled to herself and hugged her body due to the strong blow of the wind that suddenly passed. "Is that a yes?"

A stronger blow of the wind came, it made Irene hiss as it made her hair fly in front of her face once again. She glanced at the brightest star at the night sky once again, the one that looked outstanding through her eyes.

"Fine, I'll go inside and sleep." She spoke once again and smiled. "Good night. I love you!"

It has been also days since she began talking to herself. Days since she's been speaking words to herself as if Y/N could hear it, when it's only the north star she was talking to. Days since that strong wind blows whenever she talks to that star and now, she thinks that it's Y/N's way of answering her, telling her that it's time to go to sleep. Maybe it has been becoming a habit— her habit, since she has no one to talk to before going to sleep. She has no one to talk to about her day when she wants to cuddle on bed, when she wants to kiss him and tell him how much she loves him.

"And I miss you," She muttered, opening the sliding door. "Come back to me soon, okay?"

---

Meanwhile, there was Chaeyoung. She has been staying up all night, just like what Irene was doing. Sitting on the couch inside her apartment with two thick books in front of her. It was the fifteenth book of Heonjong's reign, and the sixteenth book; the first book of Cheoljong's reign.

She has been monitoring the pages if there would be any changes just as what Y/N told her but until now, the writings stayed the same, without changing any word at all.

Y/N explained to her what happened between the two books, her journal and that book that Yeri had. The book that showed the girls everything that was happening in the Joseon, the way that they saved him. He also told her that it would be the only way to know if he's alive or dead.

If something inside the book changes, then his plans are a success.

But if there's none, then it only means one thing.

He failed.

He failed on keeping alive with Yi-Byeon's hands around his neck tightly, he failed on saving Joseon and giving them the life that they all deserved, he failed his grandmother who gave everything she had to him, but he didn't treasure it. He failed to escape, to survive.