15. Shard

In the morning I woke to a nice day. It was bright outside and... Saturday! I put on my uniform -since I didn't have any normal clothing for weekends now- and spilled the contest of my bag once again.

My jewelry bow fell out and the three sunglasses I had packed. There under notebooks and other junk was something that made my heart skip a beat the two-way mirror! Grabbing it as my life depended on it I whispered: "Dad? Are you there?"

The two-way mirror was something my dad had given me when I had turned eleven. I had a shard from a mirror he had in the bedroom. This way we could speak when we wanted to.

"Dad please I need to talk to you. Haven't you realized I'm missing?" I whispered wondering why he wasn't answering me. I resolved into just staring into the shard for fifteen minutes and then I thought I saw something... "Dad?" I mumbled.

A face looked straight at me from the mirror, making me scream. That was not my father. A dark look on the face with dark messy hair and hauntings of the past could be seen in his eyes. The man looked terrifying. I couldn't tell who he was. He was gone too fast.

The mirror doesn't work like it will in the future. Someone else now has the pieces and I have a part I shouldn't have in this time. So my mirror piece is connected to the others, whoever now has them.

"Ah..." I gasped as I felt a tingling, uncomfortable feeling in my palm. "No, no, no, no, no." I mumbled as I looked at my palm which I had accidentally cut open on the shard and my now blood-stained bed sheets. "Oh man." I mumbled as I started performing a healing spell, taking my time wanting not to take any risks.

When my palm was healed I pulled the sheets from my bed and folded them on top of it, so the house elves could take them away.

Nothing else was of value in my bag, but I did end up making a plan for the day. I had a coin purse in my bag with some money in it. I had 45 galleons, 63 sickles, and 13 knuts. I could definitely get some clothing with that if I went to Hogsmeade right now.

I dashed out of the dormitory and into the common room.

"Morning Selenia." A familiar, welcomed voice greeted me.

"Oh hi, Harry. I'm going to Hogsmeade to buy some clothes since I lost my trunk. Wanna come?" I asked with a smile, stopping by his group. Ron was playing wizarding chess and Hermione was glaring at me... For some reason.

"Um, yeah why not. But you do realize it's not a Hogsmeade weekend?" He asked.

"I know. But I think you and I are on the same page when I say there are... Other ways to get there than through the main gates." I smiled in a sly way. I didn't want to admit it, but in all actuality, I liked breaking rules. I didn't always seek it out, actually tried to stay away from trouble. But at times it was an accident, but I am still a teenager and the need to rebel is still present.

Harry nodded, but Hermione was quick to cut in: "Harry. She's going to get you in trouble." She said, lowering her voice and placing her hand on Harry's shoulder sending a sharp look to Ron. When Ron didn't catch her sign she kicked him under the table to the shin.

"Ow! Bloody hell Hermione. Why'd you do that?" He asked reaching down to rub the sore spot. Hermione looked at him and glared.

"Harry should listen to me right?"

"I guess so. She tends to be right, you know." Ron said and directed it to me.

"I've heard." I said, giving Ron a cold look. He didn't even hear the conversation and was making a blind decision. "But I've also heard... That Harry doesn't need help to find trouble. He finds it all on his own."

"Hmpf." Hermione said, turning away from the conversation. "Just remember what I said Harry."

"I will." He said and nodded towards the fat lady painting. And so we left. It was unsaid where we were going. We both knew. The one-eyed witch statue that led to Honeydukes Sweetshop in Hogsmeade.

"I'm getting a feeling she doesn't like me very much." I chuckled.

"Who?" I sent him a knowing look. "Oh, Hermione. Well, she doesn't have anything personal against you. She's just skeptic. She was like that in my third year with-"

"Firebolt. I know." I said.

"It's strange you know so much about me. And I feel like I know so little." He mumbled.

"Do you believe her?" I asked, stopping on my tracks and staring at him. I needed to know how much trust I had gained. Would I be left out?

"I... I know there's a risk. And some of the things she's said do make sense. But I saw the tests the minister himself performed, we are blood relatives. And I let you sleep by me and I'm going to Hogsmeade with you now aren't I." He said.

"Clutching your wand with white knuckles." I stated.

He was silent for a moment. His gaze landing on his wand. "No wand. See?" He said and put it into his pocket.

I smiled and we continued to walk: "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm just here to be with the last bit of family I have left. I have a feeling... You understand that."

"I do." He nodded.

"I'm here for you now. You can ask me for anything. You can think of me as a sister. Cousins seem too far apart. Don't you think?"

He nodded once more. "So there are two clothing stores in Hogsmeade, one for men, one for women. Do you have money with you? I could borrow you some if you'd like."

"I've got money." I smiled and pulled out my little purse from my robe pocket.

"I thought you lost everything?" He said, raising his brows.

"I thought so too, but I went to the infirmary and-"

"The infirmary? Did something happen? Are you alright?" He asked, looking at me worriedly.

"I'm fine. Just a little accident." I smiled. It felt nice. Him taking care of me again. It had bugged me normally when dad would get all fussy over me, but now... I kinda missed it. I stayed silent for quite some time while we made our way to the statue, I just looked at him fondly.

"Um, Selenia?"

"Oh, sorry. Got lost in thought. Anyway, when I went to the infirmary I found my bag there. I got my money and a few personal items." I smiled.

"Well, that's nice." He smiled.

"Yeah, I was so happy. Now I at least have my most important possessions."

***

So next chapter they'll go to Hogsmeade!